There is beauty all around….a garden hiccup

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat There is beauty all around….a garden hiccup

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Several years ago I grew French Vanilla Hybrid Marigolds.  They were a beautiful white marigold.  I saved seed and forgot about it until this year.  As you all know, seed from hybrid plants doesn’t always produce the same flowers the Mother plant did.  Well, I have quite a variety of white marigolds.  I apologize to any of you that I shared plants with if yours are not what you expected.

A few of the plants are true to the Mother plant:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Some are more yellow, but still pretty

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Several plants just get a fuzzy bud and never open

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and a few of the plants are the prettiest white star….I love these.  Do you think if I saved seeds that the plants would look like this next year?

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5268885 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

All are very pretty and rare and you will never know if you don’t try will you….you have such lovely flowers….

I sure would love to have some of the seeds from these if you have any to spare this fall…also do you have any seeds of the Mexican Orange Flame Vine ( Senecio Confusus)   and the double fire profusion zinnia that you showed sometime in the last week….would love to have some of them too….just begging are I.

Hope your butterfly bush and snowball bush are doing good…Have a great week.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5268889 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Very neat variety, especially the last ones.  I grew those marigolds this year.  Wonder if I save seeds what I will get?

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5268896 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Very pretty, I like all of them, specially the last picture.  Thank you for sharing.

Carol

#5268914 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Those are fun and a good lesson on special seeds. Thanks for sharing the interesting plants and blooms. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5268929 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

That explains how I got so many different shades of zinnias from you. I love every one of them but didn’t get any of the fuzzy ones or the singles. I suspect the singles might come back true next year, it looks like it was one of the original plants that they used to cross with others. I love it when we get surprises! How I ended up with a single purple bloom, nothing like the white lisianthus that I put into the pot and didn’t resemble anything else I grew. Must have been the same pack of lisianthus seeds that produced the Malabar Spinach plant too.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5268954 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

Like the variety that comes the following years.  I planted Lantana seeds this year that I bought and got Butterfly Weed (which I really like, but it’s not Lantana!  The same with the Kong Coleus seed that I saved.  Got some different colors than last year.  Wonder what they will do next year.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  hopscotch.
    #5268960 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Janet….I will save you some of the marigold seed as well as the Mexican Flame vine and the double profusions.  I am not making any promises what the marigold or zinnia seeds will produce since they are both hybrids, so unlikely that the seed will be true.  The Snowball bush is growing like crazy and the butterfly bush is budded and looks like it may be open by this weekend or so.

Melissa….hard telling what you will get….but it is worth a try….kind of fun waiting to check out each plant when it blooms.

Carol….I thik I like the last the best, too.

Alma…..I knew that when you save hybrid seeds that it is a gamble on what you’ll get….but cheap fun!

Molly….hard telling what seeds I sent you….some may be from seed not coming true and others may be that the crazy woman that saved them got them all mixed up….lol.  I think that maybe I put some mixed echo lisianthus in with the other seed I sent you….heck, I may have even slipped a malibar spinach seed in there….you can blame me….I have broad shoulders.

Leroy….I bought phlox drummondi seed from Burpee and they are Sweet William Dianthus…..oh well.  I will try to save some lantana seed for you and send it with the profusion and Mexican Flame vine seed.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5268972 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Oh what fun Charlene! I like them all. The second one looks as though someone spent years getting that color combination just right & here you got it on the first try. What a neat experiment/experience.

Those are the only Marigolds I have ever tried growing (the ones in your first picture) from seed. I too tried to save seed from them but I do not recall the outcome that following year. I would have been tickled with any of the above blooms.

Do you know if  Hybrids ever involve more than two species?

#5268974 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Very neat & pretty flowers!  Thanks for sharing! Could you pretty please save me some Mexican Flame seeds too, for my new place?  Would love, love, love!  It would make me think of my missionary friend who gas bedn a missionary in Mexico for 20 yrs now!  I am in the new place now, btw & loving it except for I have to wait for my tv svc to get hooked up next wk.  I plan also to look into some sort of free tv gizmo for when my satellite svc goes out in storms!

#5269037 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

They are gorgeous Charlene.  Love both colors.  I like the fact that they have so many petals.  Strange how sometimes we buy a certain color only for the plant to produce a different color.  So many of mine did the same thing.  I’m still looking for my pink salvia which I am sure is purple now….LOL

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5269050 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

They are all lovely looking flowers, Charlene.  I have planted some marigolds called “Snowdrift” that you have seen in one of my pots, very tall with no blooms yet.  They get 3 to 4 inch Creamy Blooms and do well in sun or part shade.  They are budding now, so I should see them bloom soon.  They are really tall..LOL.  They originated in Holland as the package says which I bought from Burpee.

SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Very different. I like the fuzzy ones.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5269075 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

MD….I am thinking that this hybrid must have needed at least 3 plants to make it happen.  It is about 18″ to 24″ tall…..plus the blooms are the size of a baseball….and they are white rather than the normal yellow or orange.  I am having fun with it.

Margba….I wondered where you’ve been….and I figured you were moving.  I will save seed from that Mexican flame, but I have to tell all of you that I DID NOT start that from seed and cannot promise what will happen with the seed…..no tried and true advice.

Julie….I also grew the snowdrift one year…..can’t remember why I didn’t save seed from them….or maybe I did and will find it someday.  NO…now I remember….that was the year that I put all of my seeds on the shelves in the garage and the mice ate everything except the datura.

Stella…these weren’t from plants bought….they were from seeds saved, but I know what you mean about buying a plant only to find out later that it wasn’t the color it promised to be on the tag.

Wendy…the fuzzy ones are cute, but after a few days they turn green and look moldy…..never open.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5269076 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Were the marigold you started for me from these seeds? They look like your first picture.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.