“ The Potting Shed ” Thursday, 21 August

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat “ The Potting Shed ” Thursday, 21 August

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Tigsy 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

woodgreen
    Participant

………… “ The Potting Shed ”
    .……Thursday, 21 August 2014 . 10:01 AM

Good morning All.  A pleasant morning a bit on the cool side. Had a pleasant day yesterday Graham found a petrol leak in his tank so the 3 of us went to the garage left his car then went for afternoon tea in mine. In the evening we went Morris Dancing at Exeter Docks and met 2 other sides for a pleasant evening. Have a nice day all. Stay safe.    Stewart.

#5276104 Report Abuse
    davehhhj
    davehhhj
    Participant

morning

stewart

nice here

take care

dave

dave

#5276110 Report Abuse
    Sherry N
    Sherry N
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  A very muggy and sticky 68  here.  Awful weather.

Stewart sounds like you are having a great time, as usual.  LOL

Some were asking how Tucker will get along with Katie, well the puppy behind us got under the fence and Tucker and him (Thor) had a blast.  Tucker was really good.  Tucker is so friendly I dont see a problem at all.  Should be fun.

I am pretty sure that my mums house has sold so I am just waiting for paper work now.  Glad that is out of the way.  I have had no bites on the Crown Victoria.  Too bad really because it is a decent car.  Anyway we will see what happens.

Not much else going on here.  Been eating a lot of tomatoes, Mike doesnt like them, they are sooooo good.

Hope you all have a great day.  Stay safe.

Tink photo Tinkerbell-1.gif

#5276151 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

Good morning! We have a thunderstorm in progress — for the last hour. I don’t have to water the garden! I’m sure the church’s garden is happy, too — don’t think it’s been watered very much. I’m off to work in a bit. Don’t have to work Fridays for another week, then I’ll be doing my regular schedule.

Stewart, still sounds like you’re having a good time.

Good morning, Dave.

Sherry, hope someone takes an interest in the Crown Victoria. I’m with you on tomatoes — SO yummy!  I like to just peel a few (large cherry-type), chop ‘em up, and scarf ‘em down! I’d brought about a dozen volunteer plants from my garden over to the church garden — should check and see how they’re doing. They’re what’s doing best in my garden; carrots might be okay, haven’t pulled one to check. Something ate the kale and is munching on the broccoli, which isn’t making heads, so it’s a lousy garden year for me. I did pick 4 green beans the other day! Peas are all done.

Well, better finish getting ready, grab my raincoat and go. Hope everyone has a great day! Be safe!

#5276159 Report Abuse
    robee_pa
    robee_pa
    Participant

Morning all. 75 and partly cloudy.

Mike just got back with 2 big bags of corn.  We will be cutting it off the cob and freezing it today.  We didn’t get the tomato juice done yesterday so hopefully get to that this afternoon.

Must get to work.

Have a good day all.

signature 1 photo signature_1.gif

#5276163 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good morning.  Thought I would stop by and say hi.  Been busy with work and trying to do things in the yard.  Vegetable garden isn’t doing that great mainly from lack of care.  I have spent 8 hours weeding the big garden this week and it is only about 3/4 done.  Raining today so will be inside all day but there is plenty of cleaning to do in here.

Green beans have been great.  Just picked about the last of them yesterday so have picked about 20 pounds total.  Green peppers at the plots are also doing well.  Have picked 25 so far.  The tomatoes are terrible.  Will be buying at least a bushel just to be sure I have enough to can for the winter.

Have a great day.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5276172 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Good morning.  Sun is shining now.  Earlier this morning we had a gentle rain shower.  that should help with the weeding I need to do later.

Finished the newsletter but can’t deliver to the guy who prints it until after Comcast shows up. Noticed on my bill an increase of $8 for a dvr.  I called them to ask why and they said the cable box we have has that capacity to digitally record shows.  We don’t do that and don’t plan to.  We didn’t select that kind of box when they replaced it recently so the option was for them to come out with another box with our dvr capability.  No charge to me for that service call thankfully.  Supposed to be here between 10 and noon.

Wilderness – good to see you back here today.  Weeding is a chore.  I’ve been freezing tomatoes and must do some more.  I think I’ll freeze peppers too if they keep producing like they do.  Look at this garlic harvest I had.

Tigsy – we don’t seem to have family reunions much anymore.  When I was little they happened with my dad’s family.  Then as we grew up and my older siblings left the house the reunions were with our family members.  The last time we were mostly together was at Mom’s memorial service. Now I think we will be focusing on the siblings and spouses getting together plus whatever offspring are available.  I don’t keep in touch with cousins, have so many and very few aunts or uncles survive.

Where’s Kathy been?  Anyone have her email?

Marge – how are you doing unpacking and settling in?

Maxine – wedding photos?

Sherry – where will your mom move to once the house is sold?  In with you?

Robbie – do you cook the corn before you freeze it?

Going to be a hotter day than yesterday, but not as hot as Brenda gets.

That’s all folks.

photo signature_1.gif

#5276179 Report Abuse

brb4y
    Participant

Morning all. Didn’t get a chance to post yesterday since we started early on the bathroom. Ripping up the linoleum wasn’t hard, had most of that removed when Mike got here. Since it’s a one butt bathroom I just puttered around the house fetching things as he needed them. He said he’d be over early this morning to finish and said the tiling itself wouldn’t take long. Well, ‘early morning’ has come and gone and am still waiting. He was at the shop when I made my run to the hardware store for supplies around 7 but haven’t heard a peep. Guess he’s got his usual morning coffee drinkers over there gossiping.

Have already started a wash and guess I’ll start cleaning floors while waiting. Yesterday was cruelly hot and supposed to get that way again today but so far it isn’t all that bad.

Have a safe pleasant day.

Brenda

#5276180 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Steep that is beautiful garlic.  If I could get it to get that big I would grow it again.  What variety did you plant?

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5276182 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Good morning,been out early while cool, Stewart-you are getting your exercise in dancing! Sherry- am on my last orange tomato from Jaynes garden,they don’t have much taste so fried them and put on toast. the tiny red ones popped open so froze them, Tigsy-we will all miss them after they have gone!Marcia- lots of garlic! Hello Dave, Robbie, Wilderness and others,enjoy the day,going to 92* today here,TOO HOT! Mary in KY 10.47am

#5276192 Report Abuse
    h2ogrdn
    h2ogrdn
    Participant

Our Canadian friends have sent us a huge cold front that is dropping the temperature 15-20º below normal.  Next couple nights will be as low as 42º.  I hope this is not an indication of an early frost.

Dad was in a pretty good mood the past 2 afternoons but I continue to be frustrated with the medical community.  A nurse showed up yesterday with the intended purpose of replacing his catheter even though he has only had it for ~10 days.    She kicked everyone out of the room for 20 minutes and when done said she wasn’t able to change it because ‘they don’t have any supplies’  for him.  So, Medicare gets hit for the cost of a visit that served no purpose! I am getting very tired of dealing with home assistance though he is not at home.  They come at meal time for him and if it wasn’t cold when it got to his room, it definitely is by the time they leave.

Have an oil change at 10:30 and then a whole list of things to do again today including a visit to that health provider.  Have to get my grocery list together for this weekend and the visiting family from the coast.  Not getting anything done around here.  Told the plumber that I have to take my chances with the leaking hot water tank and have it replaced next week.

Marcia, nice batch of garlic. I tried a few this year but haven’t had time to see how they are.  Know the tops melted down to the ground.  Hi, Wilderness!  Glad you stopped by.

Got to go.  Take care,

Fred in Western Montana

#5276217 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Wilderness – I grew German extra hardy that I ordered from Fedco.  I ordered more to plant this fall though I suppose I could have used some of these bulbs for seed.

photo signature_1.gif

#5276222 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi all!  Steep, still “settling” in.  Keep finding things I need to get at the store to help me organize better th at I dont normally need to buy but I also dont always have the $$s to go buy everything I need to get.  Cant do it all overnight, either!  steep, what great garlic!  I dont like garlic that much & have never grown it.  I might do a pot of onion sets for the fall & see how I do w/ that! Stewart, sounds like you are enjoying the summer!  Hope Graham’s car will be ok.  Hi Dave!  Bette. Sounds like you got quite a lot of weeding done there!  Was raining for a while yesterday here, and more to come along today!  Brenda, you sound busy, per usual!  I just did some laundry, cooked some potatoes, and plan to clean the bathroom in a bit!  Fred, love your avatar pic of the waterfall!  Is that you?  Tigsy, glad you are getting some rain but sorry its been a bad gardening yr for you.  Hope you are getting something!  Sherry, glad your Mom’s house sold but hope you can get the car sold.  Maybe get your mechanic to sell it for you & let him take a commission!  Hi Mary!  Hope you arent getting too hot down there!  Robee, been camping lately? Sounds like a lot of corn that you got!  Do you make chicken corn chowder?  Love that! How do you make your tomato juice?  BBL!

#5276250 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

Back from work — was supposed to quit at 12:30 but kept at it til 1:30 — or was it 2:30? Put 1:30 on my time sheet! On my feet a lot, putting together the service bulletin for Sunday. It’s been raining on and off all day, will be good for the garden.

Marcia, that garlic looks great! Yeah, most all my aunts & uncles are gone. This reunion is my dad’s side, and as he was the youngest in his family of 8, the kids of some of my cousins are my age! We’ve had reunions since I was in the early grades. I have fewer cousins on my mom’s side, and I can keep up with them.

Mary, yes, pretty soon we’ll be the oldest generation at a family gathering! By golly, I think we were! No more aunts & uncles, I think….

Fred, how frustrating (and ridiculous) that nursing situation is! Crazy to have to pay to have your Dad’s meal cooled off and delayed. I’d complain, loudly!

Marg, I’m getting a fair amount of tomatoes (large  “cherry” tomatoes) that are really good all by themselves. I put ‘em in salads, too.  Sugar snap peas weren’t too bad, but over too soon. Peppers are still about 4″ tall, going nowhere. I think the garden failure is all due to my not putting compost on our clay soil before the rototiller guy did his thing. This fall I might scoop off the top layer and get a load of mushroom compost to till in.  Usually I get at least 20# of green beans, but I recently picked 4. Four beans, that is. Got a great crop of weeds, tho!

Well, must go find the recipe I want to try out for dinner. Have a good evening, everyone. Hope Kathy and Snow reappear soon!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.