The Potting Shed 24 July

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat The Potting Shed 24 July

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Tigsy 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

brb4y
    Participant

Morning all. Still no rain here and the heat is coming back quickly.

Oops, phone.

Have a great day and be safe.

Brenda

Brenda

#5267279 Report Abuse
    Keggy
    Keggy
    Participant

Hi Brenda and everyone else,

Beautiful morning here, much cooler and low humidity.

Last night went to neighbors house for dinner, took Mom along and she enjoyed it.  They grilled chicken and had first of home grown tomatoes. Yesterday I had knitting group, I’m making dishcloths, easy to do and you can talk while you knit.

Today I hope to do exercise class with my friend who has Parkinson’s and then take her to lunch.

Thanks all for your kind thoughts.

#5267280 Report Abuse
    Sherry N
    Sherry N
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  A very nice 60 and no humidity.  Beautiful day.  I will get the grass cut today.  Nice and sunny.

Glad you enjoyed my pics yesterday.  I do believe the fellow was on a wakeboard attached to a rope that is attached to an oval that goes around and around.  Not the same as skiing behind a boat but if you have no boat I guess it works, especially if its a warm day.  Looks like fun.  I would be tempted to try if no one was watching.  LOL  I love water skiing.

Not much going on today.  Just waiting for the dew to dry.

Hope you all have a great day.  Stay safe.

Tink photo Tinkerbell-1.gif

#5267314 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Good morning.  Cooler temperatures today, below normal was the forecast.  I’ll take it.  Yesterday was an oven (but I know Kathy and Brenda have it even worse that what it got to yesterday.)  It rained and now its overcast for today.

Keggy – I’m sure you’ve tried hard to get your mom to try adult day care.  Have you used the logic of reminding her how she would get you to try something for the first time when you were young? “How do you know you won’t like it if you haven’t tried it?  Try it once and then decide.”  Then there’s this argument:  “I need you to do it for my piece of mind.  I worry about you being home by yourself when I have to be out.”  My father in law went to adult day care and thought he was going to work.  But then he had Alzhiemers (sp?) and didn’t know.  I think stubbornness increases exponentially with age.  Good luck with your Mom.

Brenda – thanks for news of Red.  What a life saga she has had.  Does she get to read the posts here at all?

I spent yesterday morning on this computer researching paper and invitations.  The Paper Source that Emily used for her wedding invites turned out to be the best.  I hope to convince Sarah of that tonight when she comes.  She is off to China for a month on Saturday and wants to leave her car here.  So I’ll drive her back to her apartment tomorrow.  William will take her to the airport on Saturday.  I hope she will agree that it makes sense for me to interview caterers and settle on three for them to choose from.  So much to be done.

I will take my walk around the lake this morning.  Such a good day to do it.

Marg – hope the move goes well.

Snow – we are thinking of you.

Kathy – hope the arms are better.  Nice to have family visit.   Stay cool.

Hello to all the rest of you.

photo signature_1.gif

#5267315 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

Good morning, all. A nice, sunny day, only 78 for a high. 55 overnight, which was good for sleeping. I feel a bit like Dave today — not much to say.

Keggy, what kind of yarn do you use for dishcloths? I had one years ago and liked it. Maybe I could knit one.

Sherry, I’ve never had any urge to water-ski — I’m a lousy swimmer — mostly I sink!

Not sure what I’ll do today — be retired, I guess! Breakfast time now; will check back later. Have a good day!

#5267317 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Tigsy – we posted at the same time.  Enjoy a good book.  I’m reading one that takes place in the 1400s in England.  Interesting because having been there now, I can picture it better.

photo signature_1.gif

#5267319 Report Abuse
    robee_pa
    robee_pa
    Participant

Morning all.  69 and cloudy.  Had a bad thunderstorm last night.  We came through it okay.  Little scary in a camper.

We went home for a bank meeting yesterday.  Back at camper for lunch.  Disappointed as they hadn’t done anymore work on the curbs in front of our house.  Oh well we have had a nice time camping.

Going home after lunch today.  We have some things to take care of next few days at home.  Still waiting for the new baby.  Hopefully will be able to pick up our quarter beef tomorrow.  Good eating coming up.

Sherry loved the pictures.

Have a great day all.

signature 1 photo signature_1.gif

#5267321 Report Abuse
    KBratnTex
    KBratnTex
    Participant

Good morning. Heat still awful, but got the yard mowed. Lance and Haden did some “honey do’s” for me before they left. Yeah! Just enjoyed them so much. Note to self: might be time to get a bigger pan. I made stir fry in the big chicken fryer skillet and there wasn’t a crumb left. Then they polished off half an apple pie and 2/3 of a double batch brownies before they left. I think the 9 yr. old at more than my teenager! LOL It was such a great family day. Sad to have them leave.
    I’m still pooped, so I see a nap in my future.
    Have a great day, ALL! KB

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes&airportcode=K0F2&ForcedCity=Bellevue&ForcedState=TX&zip=76228&language=EN

#5267352 Report Abuse

red_savage1
    Participant

Bark Bark Yip Yap arrrrrrrrowwww Yap Yap Grrrr  Y’ad think, by now, those brainless fur balls would not bark at the g-kids when they tromp over here. But, noooo, any excuse to exercise their vocal chords, hell, they don’t even need an excuse to sound off.

Not to sure I’m gonna like this new set up. Definitely do not like the fact I had to JOIN as all of my past is just that, past. (frowning) Just passing through, saying howdy. HOWDY!!!

#5267360 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Good morning Brenda,tried knitting but found crochet easier, made pot holder from cotton and washes good. Keggy-nice for you to eat out and go with your friend. Tigsy-my friend can’t swim but she dips in then bakes in the sun, all her girls can swim! even the 6year old puts those blow up things on her arms and jumps in the 5′!I stay in the water as i tried sitting out for fifteen minutes and got freckles! Howdy Red, good to see you. a nice breezy morning up to 80* today, hello to others, enjoy the day. Mary in KY 10.31am

#5267366 Report Abuse
    robee_pa
    robee_pa
    Participant

Good to see you Red.  We have missed you.  Hope you come again.

signature 1 photo signature_1.gif

#5267380 Report Abuse

brb4y
    Participant

Had to take a break. Got the lawn mowed with a little trouble. I’d thought it would be easy since the gas pedal is where one belongs but totally forgot about the clutch….my ankle is protesting loudly and will give it a rest before trying to weed eat. Is getting hot in a hurry and no sign of rain at all. Don’t know how long I’ll last with the weed eater but it really really needs doing. Sherry, with this high a humidity I won’t wait for the grass to dry. If I don’t start really early it gets ‘way too hot far too quickly for this wimp.

Hiya’ Red! Glad to see you back. Yep, this new stuff has been hard to get used to. I’ve never had a potting shed in my life, but, whatever. KB is from TX too, by the way, altho I doubt she’s close to you.

Keggy, I tried a sort of day care for my mother when she was still making a little sense. Sort of tricked her into going and it was a total bust. She won’t play games and never would, she didn’t like the folks there, didn’t approve of the snacks and insisted they call me to come get her after an hour. Stayed angry with me for days. There are ‘sitters’ available, providing you can find a good one (very rare here) who will help out, entertain and even sometimes do some light house work. She wouldn’t have any of that either insisting we couldn’t have a stranger in the house with our critters while we were gone. So, Tom and I didn’t go anywhere together except in emergencies (when he was in the hospital for instance).

It’s after 10 already so if I’m to tackle that weed eater I’d best do it now. By 11 it’s going to be too hot to even stand quietly in the shade.

Later,

Brenda

Brenda

#5267381 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

Marcia when Ted goes to the Day Center he calls it going to work too……..strange. Doing laundry today and making a Lazy Daisy Cake.  The girls are coming for coffee tonight.

#5267390 Report Abuse
    Sherry N
    Sherry N
    Participant

Hi Red, good to see you.  Hope you come back soon.

Tink photo Tinkerbell-1.gif

#5267407 Report Abuse
    h2ogrdn
    h2ogrdn
    Participant

It was only 54º this morning and forecast to be down to 45º tomorrow morning.  It is summer, ISN’T IT??  Today expected to only be 73º.  A huge front has moved in.  Lots of wind yesterday evening that came and went in about 3 sessions.  We have cottonwood tree limbs down in the creek, 1 of which took out a power line.  Wasn’t our power but they turned off ours for a while to do the repair.

Family issues are driving me crazy.  Maybe we will settle my mother’s will today.  Have gathered more info that might eliminate setting up a trust for her assets.  My older brother took a huge loan out on the 4 acres the folks gave him and now the lender is being a pain in the backside insisting there is a house on the land and demanding proof of the house and flood insurance.  Also insisting it has an address.  It is bare land with a storage shed on it.  No well, no sewer, no address.  Asked me to do a bunch of computer research for him so I was up until midnight Tuesday night.  Yesterday afternoon he left a message that someone else had just done the same so I didn’t have to.  Tooooo late!  Also took some pictures for him that I pick up today.  About 3 hours wasted.  Anyway, he is totally irrational about dealing with the problem and, when he calls me, I cannot get him to make sense or cut him off.  He is a hot head and reacts quickly to any news that might minimally infringe on his way of thinking.  I have told him 3 times that a rep from his bank 112 miles away is NOT going to get in the car with him to drive over here to look at the land but maybe a local bank rep could be persuaded to do so.

Enough ranting.  Regarding waterskiing, I haven’t done so for a couple years but enjoy doing so.  Tigsy, I don’t swim either but trust my life jacket.  So, for those with experience in ocean water, what kind of problems am I going to run into while snorkeling in the Galapagos in December?  Are you enough more buoyant that being a non-swimmer won’t be much of an issue?  My only experience so far in sea water was about 3-3½’ deep.

Hi Red.  Hope you can come back soon and spend time with us.

We dug and cleaned nearly 750 iris rhizomes.  Some are bundled with name tags in 2′s and 3′s for about 523 sales units plus 30 were pulled out to be planted in the societies display garden.  Had 5 volunteers for about 2½ hours yesterday to do the labeling.

Picked about  ½ gallon of raspberries this morning and have another small section to pick.  Pond pre-filter needs cleaned.  Have to get ready with my questions for the lawyer and make a quick trip to this end of town before I take Dad to the lawyer’s office.

Take care,

Fred in Western Montana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.