THE CHATTERBOX!! Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014—Open for chatting!

Home Forums Backyard Chat General THE CHATTERBOX!! Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014—Open for chatting!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by jcolbert40 jcolbert40 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Hello and another pretty morning here with fresh snow!  It is coming down steadily here, but not real hard, but looks sort of foggy out there  in the distance.  Our temp. is 22 degrees and a slight breeze now and then.  We have a coating of snow on everything so all the tracks are covered up and the grass that was showing, too.  DH said the intersections downtown were mighty slippery and he saw the snowplows/sanders twice trying to clear them out some.  Can’t get any traction once you stop for the red light, he said.  It always gets slick at those places.

Hi to MaryinKy, MaryinMi, Missylynne, Mmarnee, Catsbirds, Birdbug, Iamanan, Hostalover, Hiker, Hopscotch, SHinson, JC, Jw2Jw2, and any others I missed.  Just drop in to chat a bit.  I have a hair trim at 11 AM so have to go to that.  Good thing I looked the other day because I had totally forgotten about it.  She has changed appointments lately because of dr. appointments she had to schedule around for her and her DH.  So mine got changed a couple of times.  And, then I found the slip she had given me the last time, after I had told her she hadn’t scheduled me anymore appointments!  Tucked in my billfold and didn’t see it to take it out and mark the calendar!  But was okay as she may have changed them anyway from the original dates she gave me.  This trim is only 2 days earlier than original anyway so no difference really. 

I may walk down rather than get the car out to go that short distance.  Will wait and see what it is doing when it gets to the time I have to leave.  I think they said 6-10 inches of snow we could get.  I bet the roads weren’t too good for the morning commute.   JC do you have a lot of snow?

Guess I will go warm up my coffee and then browse the boards a bit before I get my duds on.  I need to add some seed to the back feeder after I sweep some of the snow from it.  Already saw a mourning dove sit in the middle and take most of the feeder up while the juncos were trying to feed.  They opted to get seed on the ground they found.

Back a bit later to see who has been on. 

#4906267 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Good morning Posy…well its snowing here, yet again…8″ of new snow so far… and it’s still coming down.. getting windier now.. snow blowing almost straight across. 

Dennis says he doesn’t know where he is going to plow it too…. he has tried to keep the drive opened but this is getting ridiculous… and to top it all off just saw on our weather that there is more coming this weekend. 

My poor birdies… I went out and shoveled off a spot to feed them but its totally covered already.  I wore my shorter boots out, about 8″ ones and the snow was over the top on the patio.  And it was clean last night, nothing on it… oh my… sure glad I have my taller snow boots..lol

I have no idea what to cook today.. we have some leftovers that need eaten up so might do that… then make a soup… I do have turkey breast for sandwiches…so soup and sammich..lol

Well going to get a bite to eat…

Stay in, stay warm everyone….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#4907359 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

No, Posy, we don’t have a lot of snow.  School is closed, tho, but probably due to ice, I assume.  It’s snowing very lightly at the moment, more like a sprinkle.  I have no plans to venture out, so it doesn’t bother me.

My name photo Myname.gif

#4907465 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Good morning  24*, I keep my calendar on the fridge and fill in,easier to see that way.  we have ice and the men are now sawing a branch off the neigbours car that it fell on last night. the wren was first at the PNB today and the squirrel was busy eating the BSF!posy be careful going out if you do. hello to others,keep warm, Mary in Ky 10.52am

#4908879 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning Posy and everyone, we started at 23° this morning and it’s now around 24° with some lovely sunshine.  23° is really cold for us and with out east wind it feels even colder.  We did a couple snow showers yesterday with out any accumulations.

They are watching our weather as an Arctic front has moved in and it’s supposed be really cold all week with morning temps in the teens.  Our forecast is for 2 to 5 inches of snow for the weekend then freezing rain with a wintry mix.  Portland is not use to snow and we don’t have the number of snowplows and sanders like the areas of the country that get a lot of snow.

Looks like I’ll be busy just keeping the hummers feeders open for them.  I  did keep one out under a light last night and it was only partly frozen; however the ones I put out before first light had to be changed within and hour and a half as they were almost completely  frozen.

Also had to get the other birds some fresh water.

Wow Sharon, your birdies were smart to stay around your area as you take such good care of them.

Posy, I see the time is still off on my post as it’s only 9:38 a.m. here.

Hope everyone has a great day.

#4910209 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Hi there!  Well I made it down and back from the beautician’s house.  She is only down the street from me with a couple of houses and empty lots in between.  I ended up driving down rather than walking as DH said get in car in garage and back out and stay out of the weather so I did.  Neighbor plowed our driveway out after I left and then he plowed the beautician’s out, too.  She has to keep hers open for customers.  And, her DH can no longer do it, so lucky this guy comes by and does hers, too.  Being in small town everyone knows everyone else and who needs help and who doesn’t!

Had lunch and will fix hamburgers for our supper, along with potatoes and veggie of a sort.  I bought some hash this week for a change.  Rarely buy it as it has lots of sodium content, but for a change with eggs will be a good meal.  I get hungry for it now and then.  I have made my own before when I have the leftover beef to do it.  I don’t buy a lot of beef anymore.  I buy more pork and chicken.  I bought shake n bake this week for a change to bake some chicken with some day.  I wanted a piece of round steak to make pan steak with but the store only had small piece of it and not very thick at that, so I didn’t bother with it.

I am not nuts about this store’s meat and the cuts anyway.  I wonder if their meat cutters know anything sometimes…..they don’t act like they do.  I order sausage and sometimes they have it out in the counter to sell instead of my 3 pkgs. back saved for me.  I think they have a lot of them working different shifts and nobody knows what is going on.  Sometimes we go 10 miles down into Pa. and buy our meat there and they cut and package to order if you ask them.  Their ground beef is all weighed to the weight you ask them for and that is nice.

Been reading some today.  Good article in paper on Vit. D and how people don’t get enough of it.  Winter sun does not give the amount we should have as it isn’t bright or strong enough on what part of skin is exposed in winter.  DH takes supplement as his is low.  No wonder cod liver oil was given so much years ago.  Now I know why!  I remember that horrible tasting stuff my mother always made me take.  It is good tonic…..but now in capsule form as is the Vit. D supplement.

Off to read some of my Country magazine now & more of the morning paper.

#4910600 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Walked to my hair dresser yesterday because she’s only half a block from me, roads were but my driveway was a challenge. Sure couldn’t have done it today after we got ten inches of snow and the city doesn’t clean our road as well as the one across the boulevard. Son stayed home so I got to stay in bed longer this morning—right, I was still up by 6! I cannot sleep in.

#4913640 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

I’ll have to correct my earlier post.  We got a ton of snow this afternoon, probably 5-6 inches.   It has stopped for now, but who knows what the night will bring…

My name photo Myname.gif

#4913722 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

sorry for the duplicate post.  I’m not used to this IPad, so bear with me.

My name photo Myname.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.