The battle of the birds continues

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) The battle of the birds continues

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by CatsBirds CatsBirds 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

After successfully ousting the house sparrows, the sallows stuck around for a few days then left. After they had been gone nearly two days, a pair of bluebirds showed up today. And then out of nowhere, the swallows shoed back up like they somehow knew the bluebirds wanted the box! After that, a second pair of tree swallows showed up. After the bluebirds fought them off, the poor things had to fight of a house sparrow pair, and then another bluebird pair showed up and decided that they wanted that box. That poor bluebird pair just couldn’t win! Next a European starling booted them off of the box, but when he realized that he was to fat to fit into the box, he left. Now maybe the blues will have some peace!

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5127440 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

My goodness, sounds  like like all  your backyard birds want the same home.  I’m surprised that the  swallows don’t try to make their own house.  Looks like maybe a few more birdhouses would solve some of the problems…..I think?????

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5127449 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

I enjoyed the story of the poor birds!

#5127476 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Wendy, thanks!

Stella, I had another box up but nothing but house sparrows gave it any attention. I had to clean my third box before it was ready for use this season because mice had infested it, but it is now back up again. Also, I plan on building two more houses for a total of five. Hopefully each will be filled with anything but house sparrows. I’m hoping for multiple pairs of both tree swallows and eastern bluebirds. I wouldn’t even mind a wren or two if they weren’t so mischievous.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5127505 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Just keep tearing the house sparrows nests out… I do it most of the summer.. until they are past nesting time… we had swallows in one box and bluebirds in another…and I have two more to put up….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.