Terracotta pot candle heater for Grandmaof2 and others .

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Terracotta pot candle heater for Grandmaof2 and others .

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

I’m sure this belongs in Look What I  Made board but I’m posting this for Grandma of 2 .

I was also thinking that this might be an idea for some who have a Green house as long as you are watching  it close  when the candle is lit ! (might save some bucks ) 

A few terracotta flower pots and a candle in a glass jar can be used to construct a small space heater. This is a guide about making a terracotta pot candle heater.

http://www.rv-news.com/newrvnews/past_coverstory.cfm?ID=11

This site has step by step instructions and looks to explain it better .

If your not crafty maybe you could find someone to make it  just  for those times of being without heat .

http://www.instructables.com/id/Candle-Powered-Pottery-Heater/step2/Step-1/

sandy k. 

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5068365 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

If you are interested, go to the site….lots of reading. Here is a picture of it….I hope

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5068368 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

That would be great for a small greenhouse but it would take a LOT of candles and pots to heat mine..16′x48′.  And as cold as this winter has been it has taken every$$$ I have to heat the beast.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5068379 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

Thank you Charlene that was fast lol . Looks to be pretty simple to make . 

Molly I don’t think it would save much in your case lol.

Mine is an 8×10 & I use a space heater. I think the candle would heat it up  pretty fast but I wouldn’t use it for a constant heat .

I think it would be a good thing to keep on hand for those of us who have power outages in the winter months . I remember one year I put blankets up to the windows and door and heated just one room with candles I had on hand for three days . Kept my kids warm and I used one to heat soups for food . 

Sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5068405 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

How interesting. I know candles can provide some warmth I have warmed my hands a little over them the past few days. Which reminds me I still have those  hand warmers. I should have used one to warm my clothes while I took a bath today.

I didn’t tell you that I burned my tub with a candle this week. You know most candles go out when they get low but I had one of those in a small glass container on the side of my tub. I figured there was nothing around it so it would be ok and would go out. Not! It ended up cracking the glass and the wax ran out and I now have a large round burn on the side of my garden tub.

This heater sounds like it would be good to have around for the next ice storm 10 years from now. It might be a good supplemental heat source for times when needed also. Thanks for posting. I’ll finish reading it when I get power back. My brother hasn’t built me the phone charger than will run on bicycle power that he mentioned on fb yet. Lol

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5068412 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

That is a good idea. Candles do give out quite a bit of heat. One winter when we had no power and heat I lit a bunch of candles in the bedroom and with a lot of blankets I kept nice and warm. I didn’t have to worry about the kids at that time because they had spent that weekend at their Dad’s who had a wood burning fireplace.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5068414 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Leslie….I always take extra precautions with candles.  I have several metal tins that I put them in or metal trays that they sit on in case of those kind of things….even though they are somewhere where they won’t start a fire from their flame…..they can do what you said.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.