Surprise this morning!

Home Forums Birding Your Bird Stories (aka Bird Tales) Surprise this morning!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I looked out to the backyard and saw 3 robins this morning strutting around.  They are about 3 weeks or so later this year than last year for spotting them.  But am glad they are still around here.  I did see one this past winter near the back flower bed, though, and that was a surprise to me.  So not sure if these robins just arrived or just out and about looking to build a nest here somewhere.  Don’t see near as many of them as we used to.

But it was good to see them, anyway!

Have a good day whatever you are doing!

#5126267 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Ours have been here since the middle of March but I haven’t seen so many of them in years! Last summer I would only spot 1 0r 2 in a single day.

#5126291 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

Saw my first ones Feb. 20th picking at the dried up crabapples still on the tree.  As soon as the snow melts and the ground softens up, expect to see many more…

My name photo Myname.gif

#5126332 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Same here Joanne, middle of February I got my first pic of one… and today the yard is full of them… like you all, seems to be more this spring than ever… they must really be hungry.  I have been through out raisins for them…and some meal worms.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5126352 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

So glad to hear folks up north are finally seeing some signs of spring! Most of my “winter birds” have headed back north now, so they should be coming your way soon. Going to be 82 here in Tampa today!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5126943 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I did see my first robin yesterday.  I don’t know how that poor bird is going to feed himself.  Everything is covered in snow.  Yes, I was supposed to buy some mealy  worms, but with my eye surgery, it preoccupied my mind.  Maybe tomorrow in the morning I’ll visit the pet shop.  Wonder if some bait shops are open.  I suppose earthworms would do.

Stella
    Community Team Member

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by Stelios Stelios.
    #5126954 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Mine have been through several snows and they survived, evidently they found something to eat. They’ve been finding worms now and seem to be eating something where the thistle seed falls.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.