Sunflower seeds in winter….!

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Sunflower seeds in winter….!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Stephbirdsfly Stephbirdsfly 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I know, I have a  lot of time on my hands.  I have never ever cracked a sunflower seed in freezing weather.  How do the birds manage to eat frozen sunflower seeds.  Do the seed inside them freeze and is it difficult for them to chew the seed or do they just swallow them.  I know…it’s a cheezy question….LOL

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5036722 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

LOL!  Actually a very valid question, Stella.

The seed-eating birds have heavier, thicker beaks.  You can see this when you compare the beaks on seed-eater and bug-eaters.  The birds that eat seeds grasp the seed in their beaks, crush it and their tongue flicks the inside kernal out to the back of their mouth/throats and they swallow it.  Birds eat small stones or gravel this held in a pocket where the kernal enters and gets ground up before entering their stomach.

Birds don’t need to ‘chew’ their food.  :)

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by iris43 iris43.
    #5037080 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I see the bluejays cracking the BOSS on the edge of the wood on the tray feeder so they know how to get to the inside of the seed.  They manage to get the peanuts out of the shells, too, and eat a lot of those here.  I just see the cardinals grab the seed and fly off, but they must get them all opened, too, while they are on the tree branches.  Birds are fascinating to watch and I learn from them all the time the different things they do to stay warm and are out in all kinds of weather and temps.

#5037386 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

It is all in the beak. The birds that love the sunflower seeds have the thicker and stronger beaks. Moving their bottom bills forward and back in a sawing motion, or as a woodpecker pounding the seed until open, spitting out the shell and then eating the meat inside. I have noticed that chickadees will take the seed and fly off to a nearby tree and proceed to pound until they open. Some birds crunch the seeds, their beaks generating a hundred pounds of pressure. The Black oil Sunflowers have a softer shell then the stripe, making it easier for the birds to open. And for myself I have found the birds that frequent my buffet prefer the Black Oil.

#5037398 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Iris, I’m sure I gave you a good laugh.  Laughter is great for the soul….LOL.  I forgot birds don’t chew their food….duh!  What I was most interested in is whether the kernel is frozen.  I think I better play the role of a bird…go outside….pick one seed….crack it….and bite it….I guess I that will answer my question….LOL.  Thanks gals for the input.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5096735 Report Abuse
    Stephbirdsfly
    Stephbirdsfly
    Participant

Great question!  Great Answer!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.