Suet: Make It or Buy It?

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Suet: Make It or Buy It?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Stacy
    Keymaster

Do you all prefer to make or buy your own suet? Do you have a go-to recipe or a go-to brand?

Stacy Tornio
    Editor
    Birds & Blooms

#4782922 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

I get suet from my butcher free at our grocery store and I feed until the hot summer months and switch over to “no melt,” block suet that I purchase at the grocery store. It is Audubon brand and I usually only purchase the Peanut Butter Delight, as all my suet eating birds prefer that over the other flavors.

#4783017 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I only use bought suet for my feeders.  I was supposed to make my own.  Looks like it will be on my list of things to do.  I have to begin by buying the right foods….bird friendly that is.  On Pinterest there are many recipes.  Mind you folk here also have collected good full proof recipes.  Maybe someone will offer us a few.

Stacy, not sure if you have been on this forum before.  If not welcome to the forum.  I’m from Deux-Montagnes, Quebec, Canada.  It’s nice to share ideas with others.  Plus we learn how the bird population is doing everywhere in North America.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4783093 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I buy my suet at Tractor Supply Co.  Usually there is 10 in a box; all one kind or variety box of a few different kinds.  I have made mine before and I have a few recipes I got from B and B magazine a long time ago so I have those on hand, too.  I use bacon grease sometimes to make a batch of suet.  And, I put in it whatever I have that the birds will enjoy; seeds, bread or cracker crumbs, leftover cereal, dried fruit or raisins, nuts if I have some, and a bit of flour if it needs thickening.

But mostly I buy it anymore because the birds like it and I have many suet feeders I like to keep full and some hold 2 cakes of suet, too.  So just fill those less often.

#4786812 Report Abuse
    birdbug
    birdbug
    Participant

I buy fresh suet from our local grocery store and only use the store bought cakes when I can’t find the fresh. I keep the suet cages filled all year long.

Trudy, you are very lucky to get your suet free from your butcher. The price of the fresh suet just went up from 99 cents per lb to $1.49. When I complained to the manager, I was told that it was ‘supply and demand’. I mumbled that it was more like ‘price gouging’ and walked away ! Looks like alot of others buy the same suet.

Tried making suet from scratch but the birds weren’t interested.  I may try it again someday.

Mary Ann (Birdbug)

#4787033 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Mary Ann yes I am lucky. I know one of the butchers at the store I shop every week, and he sets aside a bunch for me and when I need it, I make sure he is working that day. I only made suet one time and the time and mess it turned out to be and then the birds did not even touch it I prefer to give them regular suet and then the no melt blocks. It was even a recipe that I found on the birding board, and followed it to a T lol. Never again.

#4815684 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I buy the blocks, no special brand.  No mess, no fuss!

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4841012 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I like to make my own for the birds.  And they seem to like it, too.  But I live alone and it takes a long time for me to collect enough lard from cooked meats to make a batch……even just one block, unless I buy a lb of lard.  This last time I bought suet blocks from TSC and filled my feeders.  I don’t think the birds think very much of the store bought stuff….I haven’t seen even the starlings checking them out.  I think I will take them down and smear peanut butter over them……maybe that’ll get them started.  LOL

#4896818 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

I have made my own for years. When pressed for time a few years ago… I did buy a couple and they went bad. Never again. The birds didn’t like them. This is a link for my special recipe: 

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com/2011/03/jeans-bird-cakes-recipe.html

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#4896872 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Lately I have been buying mine. I have made Jean’s before and the birds do like it but I just have such a hard time finding the time to  make it so I’ve been supporting Tractor Supply lol

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4896949 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Steve, It’s not a matter of “if you like it” but “if the birds likes it better”.  Dang…it is quick to make using a microwave. 

Reckon Tractor Supply Likes you and the birds not. :D

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Paleface Paleface.
    #4896959 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Oh Jean it is so simple for someone that can honestly cook and know their way around the kitchen. I’m just not too good in the kitchen.   blender accident emoticon

Community Team Member

#4897002 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Come on Steve….I know you can cook….for humans and the birds. Stop making excuses for not providing your birds with the best bird cake…for their health and well being with your excuse of not having enough time. HA! (:D)

Jean in NW Georgia

#4915848 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

Steve, do you buy Royal Wing, and if so, what flavor? I buy the bix boxes of the Royal Wing woodpecker suet.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#4916047 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Junior I buy the peanut suet at Tractor Supply but don’t lets not tell Jean  be quiet smiley

Community Team Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.