Subject of the Day-Wednesday, April 9/14

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Subject of the Day-Wednesday, April 9/14

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Kathy Kathy 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Gaura Sparkle White

Genus Gaura
    Species lindheimeri
    Variety Sparkle White
    Item Form (P) Pkt of 25 seeds
    Zone 5 – 9
    Bloom Season Late Spring – Late Summer
    Habit Compact
    Seeds Per Pack 25
    Plant Height 12 in – 24 in
    Plant Width 12 in – 18 in
    Bloom Size 2 in
    Additional Characteristics Award Winner, Bloom First Year, Butterfly Lovers, Cut-and-Come-Again, Easy Care Plants, Flower, Free Bloomer, Long Bloomers, Season Extenders
    Bloom Color Light Pink, Multi-Color, White
    Foliage Color Olive Green
    Light Requirements Full Sun, Part Shade
    Moisture Requirements Dry, Moist, well-drained
    Resistance Disease Resistant, Drought Tolerant, Heat Tolerant, Humidity Tolerant, Pest Resistant
    Soil Tolerance Normal, loamy, Poor, Sandy
    Uses Border, Containers, Outdoor, Wildflowers

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5129028 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

A very pretty Guara Donna. I don’t have good luck with them here, they get too tall and lay down. I have tried them in a couple of places and the same thing happens. I might be tempted to try this one except I am on a “Plant diet” these days.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5129039 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

That is pretty.  I recall seeing pictures of Gaura growing in others gardens, but I do not remember seeing such a pretty white one.  The other day many on her said they had sandy soil, so this looks like the plant for them!  I will have to continue to enjoy pics here since it is not hardy for me.  Thanks Donna.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5129074 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I have gaura in my butterfly garden. It was one of the first things I started from seed. Like Molly,however, it gets tall and lays down. I have a lot of good plants that get tall and stand straight, but these never did.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5129145 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Very pretty Donna.  They would look nice in a container next to some colorful flowers and greenery.  They would not come back for me though.  Zone 4 here although they say we are in zone 5, but it gets to cold.  I just wonder how much I have lost this year..boohoo.  Thanks for sharing such lovely flowers.

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Those that get too tall – can you cut them back like we do the mums?

Just an idea. I get a lump in my throat every time I get a new catalog – as I don’t plant to live here for more than 2 years.

Just tend the ones I have and read about and look at all of your flowers. It is an adjustment I hadn’t considered.  But they do have pretty flower gardens that the master gardeners help tend. So I can go out to play.

The hip is the best it has been for a year. One therapy left on Fri. Such a good feeling and have to work on exercises to keep it stretched out. Going up the stairs is so much easier. PTL for PT and exercises. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5129152 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

This is a pretty one and the reading says it will be compact….mine was getting really leggy back in Sanger and flopping all over….

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5129166 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I  love these plants & have a few but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a white one.  I’ll have to look for that.   Mine don’t lay down but I wish they would bloom a little longer.  They don’t last through the summer here.  (the blooms)

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5129219 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

I will just have to let everyone know how mine turn out if I get them planted. Now that I know they have a tendency to flop over maybe I can take measures to prevent that from happening.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5129222 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Donna…did you start yours from seed or order plants?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5129223 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Charlene I have seeds for them. I see I left out “seeds” when I said if I get them planted.

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5129304 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

I had one plant but after 3 years it died on me :(

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.