Squirrel proofing bird feeders

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds Squirrel proofing bird feeders

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by LuvsDaisys LuvsDaisys 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Misty
    Participant

Does anyone have a workable way to keep squirrels from feeders?

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5154435 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Use baffles on poles beneath feeders 3 feet from ground or you can use them over the feeders, too.  Grease poles to make them slippery.  Place them out in open where they can’ t jump on feeders from tree branch, roof, fence.  I had pesky one today that gets on the roof and jumps on mine.  I have to move the feeder away from the house; it is too easy for them to get to it and they use my sliding door screen to jump on and to the feeder, too.  I use safflower a lot and they don’t like that as a rule.

#5154452 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Baffles (although sometimes they find a way to defeat them) ,or a good squirrel proof feeder.  Oh and they can’t climb PVC pipe so a birdfeeder on top of that works too.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5154835 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Hi, Misty! This forum is actually for questions about using our Community, so I’m going to move your question to our “Feeding Birds” forum so more folks can see your question and help provide their thoughts. Thanks!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5264632 Report Abuse
    lkalliance
    lkalliance
    Participant

Not long ago I decided to take the battle to the local squirrels. I moved east of the Rockies from California and I was excited to be seeing more colorful birds in my backyard, and I had a simple platform feeder. Unfortunately squirrels were a big problem. The feeder is out on a deck, with many points of entry for them, and no practical way to put up a baffle that would work.

So I scrapped it all, and rebuilt. My girlfriend calls it Finchley Central:

Finchley Central

I secured a cedar mailbox post to the deck, purchased three-foot hanger arms (the longest I could find) and began to hang feeders. The platform feeder is still there on the left, but I only put a very small amount of cheap seed there as an attractant. Squirrels can get to it, but there’s not much there. The sock contains thistle for goldfinches: the squirrels don’t want that. The feeder in the middle is a Brome Squirrel-Buster Peanut, the feeder on the right is a Brome Squirrel-Buster Plus, and the suet cage has a hot pepper suet cake they sell at my local Wild Birds Unlimited.

So the two squirrel-busters have been up now for over a month, and I’ve had some pretty depressed-looking squirrels try to get to the peanuts and seed, to no avail. We just put up the suet, so I can’t say whether it works or not.

So as far as squirrel-proofing, I so far am very happy with the Brome products.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by lkalliance lkalliance.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by lkalliance lkalliance.
    #5289143 Report Abuse
    LuvsDaisys
    LuvsDaisys
    Participant

Ilkalliance..just wondering if this is still working for you??

#5289162 Report Abuse
    lkalliance
    lkalliance
    Participant

Indeed it is. I do still get the occasional squirrel on the hanging platform feeder, but not that many as I don’t put much seed there. I have not noticed any attempts to reach either Brome feeder for weeks now, though I can’t speak to during the work day.

The squirrels also showed no interest in the hot pepper suet cake, but between the sparrows and the blackbirds it only lasted a couple of weeks, tops. So I’m not yet ready to claim it works reliably with squirrels. I replaced it with unflavored suet, which NOBODY seemed to like much, lol, except the occasional woodpecker. Just this morning I put out a new hot pepper suet cake. I’ll report back here on whether I see squirrel activity with it.

#5289368 Report Abuse
    LuvsDaisys
    LuvsDaisys
    Participant

That’s great that you’ve found a solution. The hot pepper feed never worked for me..the squirrels would sit down right in the middle of it and munch. This was a large open feeder though.  This idea of yours is great for decks, porches..etc..

We have several bird feeders now at one seemingly squirrel proof station. Nothing fancy, just feeders hanging from a cable stretched between two set metal poles, then around the poles are two stove pipe (to large for animals to reach around) stacked on top of each other..large metal plate (serving as a baffle) setting on top of the stove pipe. Whew! not really the prettiest thing but so far it works. It would be great to have the feeders on pulleys so we can get them up even higher though.  The deer might be a problem this winter..we shall see.

Wondering if we could do something in line with what you have done in another area of the yard.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by LuvsDaisys LuvsDaisys.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by LuvsDaisys LuvsDaisys.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.