Spring 2014: Track Your First Butterfly Sightings

Home Forums Gardening Bugs and Butterflies Spring 2014: Track Your First Butterfly Sightings

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Spring butterflies should be returning to southern areas by now, and starting to pop up farther north before too long. Track your first butterfly sightings here by listing what you saw, where you are, and when you sighted it!

Learn which butterflies you’re likely to see first (and where they’ve been all winter) in this post on our blog: http://www.birdsandblooms.com/blog/butterflies-of-spring/

(Got a photo? We’d love to see it! Visit our Community Help section for assistance with posting photos.)

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5130826 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

So far this month in South Carolina it’s been sporadic sightings of:  Horace’s Duskywing, Common-checkered Skipper, Silver-spotted Skipper, Cloudless Sulphur, American Painted Lady, Carolina Satyr, Pearl Crescent, Black Swallowtail, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Palamedes Swallowtail, and Pipevine Swallowtail.

Kim

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Kim Kim.
    #5131652 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Kim, that’s wonderful that you know your butterflies so well.  I think I will jot those names down and do some research.  Mind you, living so far up north we don’t get too many fancy butterflies here.  We are lucky to see Swallowtails and an occasional Monarch.  Two summers ago there was an epidemic of Viceroys and Red Admirals.  It was fantastic.  I would be reading at the patio table and 4/5 of them would just rest 2” away from me.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5132744 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I did notice a couple of cabbage moths flut by about a week ago just as it was starting to warm up some.  Hope our freeze & late snow isnt harming the bfs!

#5132846 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

I believe it was last Wednesday that I had a Female, Black Swallow Tail, land at my feet.  She looked a little rough but always a good sign to see them in Michigan….

#5133444 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Will all these late snowsb& freezes harm the bfs?  Where could I buy some bfs for the gardens here!  I know you can buy ladybugs.  Not sure where to buy those, either!

#5134665 Report Abuse
    Kim
    Kim
    Participant

Stella….what a delightful surprise…the visit from the Viceroy’s and Red Admirals!   I’ve only seen a couple of each around here.  For the past two years I’ve been documenting the various species of butterflies that visit the home garden, so it has definitely helped with learning their identifications. :)   So far I’ve documented over 45 species.  This year I’ve added a variety of host plants to the garden in hopes of establishing a more “extended stay” butterfly bed and breakfast. ;)

Margba…as far as purchasing butterflies….there’s an online site called Shady Oak Butterfly Farm – they have butterfly eggs, chrysalis, adult butterflies, kits, and butterfly host plants that they sell (some are of course restricted to only being shipped to certain states).  While I haven’t ordered butterflies from them, I have ordered host plants from them.  They ship promptly and also respond promptly to any questions.  Their butterfly farm is located in FL.

Their website is:  http://www.butterfliesetc.com/butterfly-eggs-caterpillars-and-chrysalises

Their phone number, hours of operation, and email is listed on their site.  If your looking for a more local source, if you send them an email they may be able to put you in touch with a reputable butterfly farm source for your area.

Their facebook page is:  https://www.facebook.com/ShadyOakButterflyFarm

Kim

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Kim Kim.
    #5135554 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

In the last few days I have seen several butterflies, I didn’t have time to look them up for their “pedigree” but it sure was nice to see some again.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5135569 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I think its still a bit too early for around here!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.