Sparrows building nests on car engine

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Sparrows building nests on car engine

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

scootrsmom
    Participant

We have birds going under and on top of our car tires and building nests up in the engines.  My husband keeps cleaning them out of both our cars.  He is afraid of a fire starting around the cars engine if we drive.  Is there anything we can do to stop this.

#5129307 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Keep tearing them out… also moth balls might help.. they don’t like the smell….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5132531 Report Abuse

scootrsmom
    Participant

Thanks for the idea of using the mothballs I will tell my husband. If he puts the mothballs on the car engine after he tears out the nests will he need to remove them before driving the car.

#5133044 Report Abuse
    dzyg
    dzyg
    Participant

No idea how to stop them unless you block access to where they are getting in. Mothballs won’t work I don’t think, not for birds anyway as birds cannot smell very well.

#5133092 Report Abuse

scootrsmom
    Participant

Well my husband was going to try out the mothballs but don’t know if he will now  The birds are going underneath the cars & up onto the engine. They were sitting on top of the tires so my husband took the rubber snakes he had put in our cherry trees & laid them on top of the tires. When he looked out an hour later the birds were sitting on top of the rubber snakes.

#5133731 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

We’ve never had birds do that, but one time a cat crawled up there and had her kittens.  I am glad we discovered them before taking off and driving with them there.I think you could scare the birds away from your wheel wells with some kind of movement.  Could you hang a piece of cloth on a string and have a fan blowing on it?  That may detour them.  Just an idea.   Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.