Sparrow eating sunflower seeds

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Sparrow eating sunflower seeds

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sueze
    sueze
    Participant

Does anyone know why the sparrows are pulling the pedals off of my sunflowers and eating or pulling out the seed that isn’t even ready yet?

By the time fall gets here I won’t have any sunflower seeds left for any of the birds.

#5270041 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hi Sueze  & welcome to B&B. The Goldfinch do the same thing here as your sparrows are doing there. Our sunflowers usually get one whole day of bloom time before a family of Goldfinch plucks every petal & checks the inside for seed.

I believe plucking the petals gives them a firmer base to pluck from & eliminates any extraneous material that gets in their way…unfortunately that includes the lovely flowers we wait so patiently to see bloom.

#5270270 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

My sparrows eat some of mine but the sunflowers have attracted tons of Goldfinches so I don’t mind, even a cardinal eats them. I don’t mind because it saves on what I have to buy. Son has been pulling them out as soon as they are empty and pretty soon I will be able to seem my wildlife garden again. We left all of them up when they sprouted from the falling seed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.