Southeast Reports Tuesday 2/18/14

Home Forums Backyard Chat News & Current Events Southeast Reports Tuesday 2/18/14

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Paleface Paleface 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Good morning.  Our low was 60º, and it’s a damp, dreary day.  Sure hope the sun comes out later.

I think I have mentioned the mud riders making a mess on our roads.  Well, it is so bad that it was covered by WCOV TV in Montgomery.  A teenage girl who lives on the road got stuck, and had to call her dad to come get her out.  Her dad is a state fire marshal and has an office in the building with the Sheriff’s Dept.  WCOV covers the county I live in, so I imagine he told them about what happened.  They interviewed Ashley, the girl who got stuck.  And they showed a shot of the mess in front of our house.  We have a sign our front which says “Ware House” and you could see part of our sign on TV.  There was also a picture in the local newspaper last week.  The day after the newspaper came out the mud riders made an statement, and that statement was “Kiss my a**.”  They really made a mess at the end of the road.  We know who is doing it, but unless they are caught in the act I don’t think anything can be done about it.

I forgot that the bank was closed yesterday for President’s Day, so it’s back to the bank for me today.

Y’all have a great day!

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Brantley, AL

#5097057 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Here’s a link to WAKA’s webpage about the mud riding.  WAKA and WCOV are a part of Alabama News Network and they have the same stories.  Ashley Gorey is our neighbor.

http://www.waka.com/home/top-stories/Mud-Riding-Costs-Crenshaw-Co-Thousands-245894821.html

I did not realize it last night, but about 57 seconds into the video where they mention people who live on this road they show a quick shot of our house.

Community Team Member

#5097086 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good Morning, everybody.  It was 39º at 10 this morning & sunny.  Still a chilly nip in the air but better than it has been for sure.   The next few day are supposed to even warmer.  Yaaayy

We had rain overnight & they tell me hail also but I didn’t hear it.  With my one almost deaf ear I sleep through most anything.  And unless it was hitting the windows I wouldn’t hear it anyway & that would depend on what direction it was coming from.

JoAnn, I did the same as you yesterday, only I forgot the PO was closed.  I still have the GKs valentines sitting here to be mailed.  I’ll go out & do that this afternoon.

I need to pay some bills & Chelsea is strongly hinting for a walk.   LOL  Need to put some laundry away too.

JoAnn, what a mess the mud riders make.  I saw on TV where they do that in Alaska  (Alaska State Troopers) & really make a mess but at least they are not dong it on roads that people need to travel.  They do it with ATVs on trails  but still the Troopers keep an eye on them to make sure they are not damaging anybody’s property, even if it is a trail in the wilderness.

I had an older cousin (in law) pass away Sunday night.  He had open heart surgery a few wks. ago & a couple days after coming home he had a massive stroke.  I figure must have been a blood clot break loose or something.  Who knows?  I am not real close to him but still family so I guess I’ll be going to a funeral sometime this week.

Not much else happening.  Hope everybody has a nice day.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5097096 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

Oh what a beautiful day. My sliding glass door is open..my birdies are making sounds on the balcony feeders and my cats are snoozing in the sunlight by the door.   Come on sunshine, stay with us a while!

#5097145 Report Abuse
    Tennduckie
    Tennduckie
    Participant

Good Afternoon !!

Its 60 here today and I am loving it , went for a walk already and planted some more seeds !!… got a walk in too yesterday !!

Jo Ann … thats a shame what they are doing to the roads … sure hope someone can get them caught !! … maybe get a car  tag number or something to stop it ….scary too if they are doing it at night … I am such a scary cat .. If I lived in the country I would have some huge dogs … lol…

Gayle ….got a email stephen king will have a new book out June 3 2014  Mr Mercedes … so watch for it … amazon.com sent me the email .. I still have not read the last one I bought

Hello to everyone !! Have a great day !

#5097162 Report Abuse
    dsp
    dsp
    Participant

Hi!  I hope that everyone is having a great day!

Gayle, so sorry for your family’s loss of your cousin …praying that the Lord will comfort everyone who is affected by his loss.

Jo Ann, I had never heard of mud riding …What a horrible idea.  I hope that it will be stopped soon!

We are having a beautiful sunny and spring-like day!  The last chunk of our snowman finally melted, and it was 60 degrees here at noon.  For all 4 days of the Great Backyard Bird Count (Fri-Mon) , I looked in vain for my eastern bluebirds so I could include them in the count …Now that the GBBC has ended, the first sight that I saw this morning when I opened our window blinds was an eastern bluebird happily splashing around in our pond!  I grabbed my camera and took this pic even though I had to take it through our window screen:eastern bluebird
    He was quickly joined by juncos, chipping sparrows, and this beautiful male northern cardinal:
    male northern cardinal

I hope that everyone has a wonderful rest of your day!

Find more about Weather in Huntsville, AL

#5097220 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Daphne, I grew up in the country, so I really feel safer here than I did a couple of times I lived in the city.

dsp, I agree that mud riding is a horrible idea.  Most of us avoid the mud if at all possible.  When I drive out after a rain I go slow and try not to splash mud on the car.  The place where it is so bad is where the county road department put some red clay.  I have no idea why they thought that was a good thing to do.

Community Team Member

#5097312 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Hello, had a nice day here too, made it to 57*!!so got to the gym awhile,  Janet i pay $15.00 a month at  Work out anytime 24/7 and just 12 minutes to walk there. Steve- nice quiet day until the weather gets better!  dsp- pretty bluebird!Jo Ann, that must make big ruts i the road,dangerous!  Amanda GD came and fixed the computer, couldn’t get any email answered. and no firefox either.te sun has gone down so time to go watch the news, have a nice evening everybody. Mary in KY 6.13pm

#5097434 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

dsp, I failed to mention that I love the bird pics.

Mary, glad you got your computer fixed.  And our roads are really a mess.

Community Team Member

#5097440 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

dsp, really nice pictures.  I wonder how you got them so cleat thru your screen.  Mine sure don’t do that.  LOL

Mine come out looking like this when taken thru the screen.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5097455 Report Abuse
    dsp
    dsp
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words!  Gayle, the screen in your pic is a nice effect anyway.  I need to actually learn how to use my camera, but instead I just put my camera on Auto setting and hope for the best!

Find more about Weather in Huntsville, AL

#5097518 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Hello everyone…..It got up to 74 deg here today and was great weather…My Cataract surgery went well today on left eye…It feels like it has a bunch of sand in it since the surgery but hopefully it will feel better in the morning…The drops don’t seem to  do it much good at this point…… I want to rub it so bad but can’t….

We are having a few things sprouting out around here, so maybe Spring is somewhere around the corner soon…..

Jo Ann hope they catch the guys/dolls that are messing up your road…no one respects nothing any more….I was on pontoon boat fishing one time and these kids had the whole lake to run their Jet  ski boats in but they had to swerve right near where  we were fishing to go back the other way……kids.

Well must rest this eye, so have a great night all….

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5097543 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Hi Everyone….Had a good day at work. Business has increased. It always does when folks start getting their tax refunds. It was a foggy morning but it cleared the sun came out and warmed up to high 60′s. Hard to believe that snow and ice was on the ground just a couple of days ago. 

Jo Ann…..I watch the news segment. You have a really nice home! But your road is a mess.   Back when my son was in high school he had a jeep. I went with him mud riding on the service roads around the nearby big lake. At least there were no homes on this road and it was clearly had been used by others.  This was one scary and dirty ride. Glad he outgrew this sport.  It is a shame that this is happening on your road.  Hope they are caught and taught a lesson of respect for others. BTW…I feel safer in the country as well. 

Gayle, Sorry for the loss of your cousin. Prayers to your family.  Love your photo of the Blues at your suet feeder….again.:)

Hi Sandra! Spring weather is great.   Tennduckie….I’m a Stephen King fan too!

dsp, My Blues didn’t show-up for the GBBC either. Heck they were here the week before.   Love your photos! :)

Janet, Hope that “sand-in-your-eye” feeling dissolves soon. That can’t feel good. Take care. 

Don’t know if anyone will read this but wishing All a Good Night.

P.S. My dear son will be here tomorrow to try and fix my water leak. Yep…I am blessed.

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#5097546 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Oh heck….I forgot Mary.  Waving Hi to you Mary!!!

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.