Southeast Reports Thursday 2/13/14

Home Forums Backyard Chat News & Current Events Southeast Reports Thursday 2/13/14

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Jo Ann Jo Ann 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Good morning.  Our low was 35º.  The sun is finally coming out.  The cold weather doesn’t seem quite as cold if the sun is shinning.

Welcome, Sandra.  I loved seeing the pictures of your birds.  I hope you make visiting us here part of your daily routine.

I hope none of you lost power.  I heard on TV that there’s 600,000 people without power.

Y’all have a great day!

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Brantley, AL

#5056271 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Good morning. Lots of white stuff and is still falling. So far its looking like the weather guessers over blew the guess. We look to have 8 inches but well then it is still snowing lol. Getting ready to head back to work. Have a feeling the roads are much better than last night. I was out walking Daisy this morning and when we got out to the highway I saw 3 plows going up the road plowing and I could even see some pavement. Thats a big improvement over last night. Gotta see if I can get out of here and take off. Have a great day.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5056321 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Good morning Jo Ann, did get out yesterday afternoon, walked on the road as some of the pavements had hard snow on, felt good to be out in the sunshine.noticed the  crab apple trees are bare, one day saw about 60  red cardinals all eating on the ground below! Welcome Sandra, lots of lovely pictures you have, our state bird is the red cardinal,so bright red.going to be another warmer day 22-40*!!!! Gayle- I have to open  the patio window slats very slowly trying to get pictures of the birds! now the squirrel just stays and eats and looks at me! Steve- now you have a sample of what the northern states are going through, stay safe going to work.  Daphne-got any cardinals yet?  can i slice eggplant and put in the freezer, they are so big and i can’t eat it all got to go fold some dry clothes and put away, stay warm everybody. Mary in Ky 10.11am

#5056827 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

Our low was 37, it’s 43 sunny degrees now with 15 mph winds…..we got 1 7/8″ of rain yesterday.

Mary……Our Cardinals are already flirting, them and  doves start early down here.

Terry

#5057288 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Good Mourning Everyone, 

I got about 4  inches of snow last night. Still (thankfully) have power. About an hour ago heard a crash. Two large pine tree limbs fell on top of my tarp porch. Yep…it will have to be replaced but am happy they didn’t fall on my camper.  I have a touch of Cabin Fever. Hopefully, I will get to work later this afternoon. 

Jo Ann, the sun is out here and it looks good. :)  Steve, glad your roads are being taken care of. Raleigh looked like Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. :D  Mary, seeing 60 Cardinals at once would make my heart flutter. :) Hi Terry, glad you to see you post! I also have noticed the Cardinals pairing off. 

First thing I did this morning was take some pictures of  Winter Wonderland before it melted. 

Wishing All a Good Day!

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#5057389 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Beautiful video, Jean.  Thanks for sharing.

Terry, glad to see you here.  The cardinals and doves are “flirting” here also. I expect we had about as much rain as you.  Our rain gauge cracked in the freeze a couple of weeks ago, so can’t be sure.  Will get another one next time we go to Walmart.

Community Team Member

#5058268 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Morning everybody.  No snow here, just rain & will probably get more later today.  It was really windy last night,wee hrs. of the morning, I heard gusts reaching 60mph but I slept through it.  Being deaf in one ear & a sound sleeper is a good thing at times.   It was 44º at 10 this morning & I think we stayed in the mid thirties overnight.

My “dead” geraniums are smelling pretty rank out there in the garage.  The soil has finally thawed to where I could pull one out today & the roots still look pretty good.  I think I am going to cut them all down to just above the soil line & see what happens.  Probably nothing, but it’s   worth a try.

Yesterday I cleaned out a couple drawers in the BR & also went through the closet, getting rid of a few thing & gathering some others for the Community Yard Sale in April.  I have a wallpaper border that I bought for the BR at least 2 yr ago & never put it up.  That was the original plan for yesterday afternoon but I couldn’t find the border.   The search is how I ended up cleaning out drawers, etc;   Then I found the border rolls in a storage box on the shelf in the closet.  Put them out where I could see them but now I have to get motivated again to deal with them.  I wish I had gotten the peel & stick kind but I didn’t.

Other than cutting the geraniums back I don’t know what I’ll get into today.  It’s my SIL’s birthday so I’ll go have her Birthday supper with her this evening & take her a little something. I have to stop & get a card on the way because I forgot that.  I’ll be home early.

I like that video Jean.  Be careful if you go to work.

Y’all have a good day.  Stay warm & dry.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5061558 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Well we made it through the storm ok….have a couple of pine trees down over the work shop outside and one limb fell on the power line between the shop and the open shed…we have a refrigerator and freezer out there….Soooooo DH has just come into the house from being out there fixing another electric box….I think he said the wires had yanked the box apart or something like that….anyhow no damage to building but there is a big pine tree laying across the back of it…

We had mostly sleet and freezing rain….during the night last night it snowed a little but when the sun came out it melted fast….If I look out the back where the sun doesn’t hit utnil evening the snow/ice is still there.,  if I look out front side of house …It looks like we just had a lot of rain……wasn’t like that about 9 am when I went out to look at the tranformer that blew up last night.in our yard ..I was sitting at the front of kitchen at a table and it went boom and the sky lite up and when I looked out the telephone pole was going from side to side and I saw a wire that I thought had broken….It didn’t break but the jolt knocked it out from under the clips that was holding it to the pole..the power went off for about 15 minutes came back on stayed on 15 minutes and out again..did this 3 times and then it has been on ever since….thank God for that…

Had to cancel a couple of Drs appt this week but can reschedule them for next week.

My daughter in N.C. thought her house was on fire yesterday( they smelled a burning smell) and after looking the house over,  checking plugs and walls for heat to find nothing her husband made the comment that it smelled like the furnace does when you first turn it on in the fall,  so upon checking the thermostat and finding that the EMERGENCY overdrive control  had come on they very very relieved but since her DH and son had already dressed to go check out the underside of house , they went ahead and did that just to be on safe side…..Must have been the first time the darn Emergency thingy had ever come on….I have one of those on thermostat in my home in N.C..

well guess I had better get off here…My wrist bothers me about as much if not more than before I had surgery on it….neck is much better so I guess he released something in there but sure hasn’t helped the hand….

All of you take care….I posted some cute cartoons over under News and Current Events ( I THINK )   called   GOOD  OLD DAYS   …..don’t know what is going on with ads etc on these posts and you can read about my frustrations there also.  Hope all have had a great day….

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5061576 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Does Jill know the time is still off when we post…..

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5062213 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

I’m glad that your DD’s house did not catch on fire.  That must have been scary.

And I’m sorry that your wrist is still bothering you.  Is this normal for it to still be bothering you, and is it expected to improve?  When are you having your cataract surgery?

I haven’t seen Jill or Mary say if they plan to correct the time thing.  Remember on the old board we could change the time zone on our profile.  We don’t have the option to change it now. It works for me because I am in the Central Time Zone.

Community Team Member

#5062900 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

After our three hour nap I took the dogs out, noticed one of our daffodils is about to bloom, looks like all of them are up. Our two large Camellias are still blooming between the frost days, I’ll bring in some flowers for DW to enjoy tomorrow :-) If it’s like this tomorrow, I’ll try to make it to the bayou and see what’s different down there.

I’m also in the Central time zone, not a problem. Seems most everything’s up and running here now. The staff is doing a good job.

Terry

#5063424 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Thanks, Gayle and Jo Ann…..but this is just a photo. Google + added the falling snow. :)  

Hey Gayle, how did you get out of getting ice?

Hi Janet, Good thing your SIL was home when the strange smell happened. That is one of my fears….something happening while I am at work.  So glad you didn’t get much ice or snow. It was pretty but I have had enough! 

The owner/boss begged me to come to work. So I did. The roads were pretty clear. We were slammed with customers and there was only one other employee. We ran out of  taco meat and french fries so we closed at 3:00 pm. Tomorrow hopefully will be a regular day. 

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#5064108 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Terry, if I took a 3 hour nap I would be awake most of the night.

Jean, glad you made it to work and home safely.

Community Team Member

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.