Southeast Reports Friday 2/14/14

Home Forums Backyard Chat News & Current Events Southeast Reports Friday 2/14/14

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by SandraRW SandraRW 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Good morning and Happy Valentine’s Day.  Beautiful day here.  The low was 33º and the high is supposed to be 62º.

It’s housecleaning day here.  I had a call from the library saying that the Jackie Collins book I had on reserve is in, so I will run into town and pick that up.

Any of you have special plans for Valentine’s Day? Ben and I are going out to eat tonight, but we usually do that on Friday night.

Y’all have a great day!

Community Team Member

#5067845 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Good morning. Bright sun here so far and hopefully we can get a lot of this ol white crap off the ground really soon. It takes forever to get Daisy to use the bathroom in that stuff. She has a hard time walking on it now since the top froze and she keeps falling through. Anyway today its back to work and I don’t see much hope of closing early tonight. I think they said we might get a little rain tonight and could have some snow mixed in but not likely to be anything to cause problems. Hope all of you have a great day.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5067904 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Good morning, what’s left of it,  Jo Ann- 62* that would be nice, 36* our high then going down after noon and snowing then advisory until 4am saturday so don’t know how the roads will be, but our roads here have been salted and the apt steps too! so went to the gym early came home and was time for lunch.  Oh I must have had CRS? thought later and remembered it was robins i saw eating the crab apples not cardinals! anyway it was a surprise to see so may at one time.  Gayle- i bought my one geranium in for winter and it is spindly had cut it down, but have hopes it will grow better before long have a nice day.Mary in Ky 11.59am

#5067921 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Good morning….I just got back from the bayou, only spent a hour there. A  middle aged couple landed  in their kayaks while I was there, they got out to stretch and have a snack. The man used to work with our neighbor at the Airport here, I didn’t take up much of their time, left them in peace :-) They had seen some otters and a feral duck, there were four Turkey Vultures soaring  close by while we were talking.

We started at 31 frosty degrees, it’s 54 sunny degrees now, I might go back to the bayou after watching Les Feldick’s  “Through The Bible”, it’s on from 12:30-1:00PM each weekday.

Terry

#5067941 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Steve, poor Daisy. I don’t blame her for not wanting to “go”.

Mary, the robins have not arrived here yet, but when they do they come in droves.  I expect we have 100 of them descending on our yard at one time.  I forgot about you asking about the eggplant.  I’ve never tried freezing eggplant, so I couldn’t advise you.  It would be worth a try though.  What did you decide to do with it?  Our temps are nice.  The long range forecast calls for temps in the high 70s next week. I put the holiday cactus and hibiscus back out on the porch this morning.  I may move the ferns from the garage onto one of the porches that is covered.  Don’t want the frost to get them.

Good morning, Terry.  It got colder at your place than it did here.

Community Team Member

#5067960 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good afternoon everybody.  I’ve been busy this morning so just getting here.  It was 43º at 10:15 this morning & sunshine, finally.

I went to SIL’s for supper last night.  it was her b’day.  Had a nice time but got home later than I planned.  We had the snow/rain mix that started around 5 yesterday evening & lasted into the wee hrs.

I’ve been doing laundry & bringing my geraniums from the garage this morning.  Every time I would go into the laundry room or walk down the hallway Id go out & get two more.  Almost all of them are in the tub of the 2nd bath, 3 on shelves in laundry room & the biggest one is here in a corner of the sun room.  It still has Snow on the Mt. vine green & growing & it was too big to put anywhere else anyway.   Then I had to clean up the mulch & soil that spilled over as I was bringing them in.  Need to go clean the table  in the garage now that I have the plants off it.  Now we’ll wait & see if they sprout again.

I have clothes to hang up.  There is a long bench in my closet & when I change clothes it seems like the ones I pull off end up  on the bench till there is a pile of them.  LOL

I want to work on my budget for the  month  & print out coupons for grocery shopping next week.

Figure 0ut what seeds I’m going to stat this weekend & I have one last garden catalog to look through.

We’ll see how much of that I actually get done.

Mary I used to bring my geraniums in for the winter, years ago when I didn’t have any other choice & they always get scraggly looking even in a sunny window.  It will recover come Spring.

I guess that’s it for now.  Y’all have a good day.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5067966 Report Abuse
    dsp
    dsp
    Participant

The 4″ of snow that we had here a couple of nights ago is slowly melting.  Our weather forecast calls for highs in the 60′s next week, so I am surprised that the snow is lingering so long with our warm-up well on its way.

Did everyone remember that the Great Backyard Bird Count begins today?  I’ve already filed one eBird report; although with this much snow still around I did my bird watch from inside looking out my kitchen window!

Valentine Day weather

Find more about Weather in Huntsville, AL

#5068010 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Hello, dsp, and welcome to SE Reports.  Hope to see you posting here again. Love the picture of your snowman with the barn in the background.  I’m guessing you live in the country.

Community Team Member

#5068315 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

What a nice warm day. The snow melted so much today. We traveled around the community looking around. Now everyone has “snow ponds/lakes”. We are going to be a muddy mess.

To brighten everyone’s day I am going to post a picture of a cactus bloom that I have in my sunroom. I have been practicing with a new macro lens

#5068349 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Beautiful picture, Sandra!

Community Team Member

#5068434 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Dsp good to see you found us here too and even got your weather sticker working. Good job. I like country pictures. Its so much closer to nature and I love most anything to do with nature. Sandra I bet you are as glad as I am to see the snow leaving. Thats a nice cactus bloom as well. Good to see our little group growing a little.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5068458 Report Abuse
    dsp
    dsp
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome, Jo and Steve!  And thanks, Steve, for the post on how to use the weather stickers; they are such a nice feature!

I am blessed to get to live in the county but be only 15 mins from town!  Our home is on a couple of acres in a neighborhood, but there’s a farm right across the street from me — and several cotton fields around.  There is also a small nature preserve 3 miles down the road.  We mostly have birds, squirrels, deer, and rabbits to watch; I love any nature that stays out of my house!

Sandra, my DH was passing by just now, glanced at the computer screen as I was looking at your photo, and said, “What a beautiful flower!”  He doesn’t usually take much notice of what I’m doing on the computer, but he made me stop so he could read your post …That’s a pretty high complement!  Nice work with your new lens.

Find more about Weather in Huntsville, AL

#5068487 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I thought I’d stop in before heading off to bed & welcome our newest members here dsp & Sandra.  I’ll forget to do it if I wait till tomorrow.

So Welcome to our small by mighty group.  Hope you stay & visit often.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5070252 Report Abuse

jaguae
    Participant

Sandra that lens is working very well!!!

Stunning !!

#5071028 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

This is a test. I am trying to experiment with the Add/Edit  Signature section. If this works …this is my logo for my pottery.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by SandraRW SandraRW.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.