Southeast Reports Friday 2/21/14

Home Forums Backyard Chat News & Current Events Southeast Reports Friday 2/21/14

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Good morning.  Our low was 48º, but at least the sun is shinning.  The squall line came through here about 1 a.m., and we got about 3/4″ rain.

WSFA TV did a followup story on the Troy Walmart last night.  It seems that managers and stock clerks from other Walmart stores were sent in to get the store back up to par.  The reporter said she saw lots of employees working there yesterday.  I just hope that the store stays in good shape once the outside help leaves.  Surely this will be a wake up call for the store employees, but who knows.  I don’t think people know what work is nowadays.  All they want is a paycheck, and don’t expect to do any work to earn it.

Y’all have a great day!

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Brantley, AL

#5099305 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

Good morning, Jo Ann- yesterday got to 72*! today is very windy 41-52*  but sunny.  Gayle-used to go to the woods and pick wild bluebells, they are pretty. well, the free box of 40 sugar bags came yesterday afternoon by UPS! that was quickl!  Steve-good you got two days in at the green.  I have been every day this week to the gym!!!!! Sandra-chirp chirp! bet you did enjoy 77*! did you have shorts on? I go to Sams when with Gillian (she has a card) and get the Tilapia and parmeson chicken in big bags, lasts about three months. usually saturdays are sample days!hello to others, have a nice day, Mary in Ky 10.49am

#5099321 Report Abuse
    Tennduckie
    Tennduckie
    Participant

Good Morning !!

Jo Ann … saw the Walmart store !!! … I was amazed at that …even when we had our remodel the store didnt look that bad …. where are  the district managers and other big company that comes in the stores and checks things … lol … thanks for sharing that never seen walmart like that … saw outs before … but the whole shelf ??? …lol

Last night we had severe thunderstorms but no damage  THANK GOD !!…today is sunny gonna be nice gonna get a walk in …

Gayle … totally agree with you … dont like the jiffy peat pellets …I should of bought one to try first but I got the 2 and only a few came up …. I bought the jiffy cups to plant the seedling in …so next year I will only get cups &soil !

Hello to everyone !! and Have a great day !!

#5099412 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Good afternoon. This afternoon its going to be back to work. I think today we are supposed to find out who our new department manager will be. Not sure when that person will take over but I figure it will be a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be Wes but then that still leaves us  with no help lol. Jo Ann you are so right about so many people not wanting to work but just be given a pay check. Seems to be the youngins where I work would die if they actually found out they were supposed to do something. Early this morning we had some rain and now the sun is out but its pretty windy. Hope all of you have a great day.

Community Team Member

#5099519 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

Anyone know anything about Elephant ear seperations. I dug up my giant “clump” yesterday and seperated all the huge “bulbs/tubers”. Was it the right timeof year  to do this?  I only replanted two large ones back in its original hole. The rest I placed in a large tub and covered in vermiculite.

my biggest worry was that the leaves had died but coming out  the bulb  were “wet slimmy leaf like stems still. they were decaying but very moist. I got rid of that mess as much as possible before I covered them in vermiculite. I gave two away to a friend to plant, so hopefully they will stay alive and grow.  Any knowledge out there on elephant ears?

Yes we had the thunderstorm at lunchtime today. not bad like some other places in NC

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by SandraRW SandraRW.
    #5099699 Report Abuse
    Jo Ann
    Jo Ann
    Participant

Sorry, Sandra, I don’t know anything about elephant ears.  I think Gayle has gone to the funeral of a relative, and maybe she can offer advice when she returns.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Brantley, AL

#5099708 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Evening everybody.  The day started out, cloudy, foggy & windy & didn’t improve much.     We had tornado watch all day & that was over by the time I started home.

Sandra, about your elephant ears. Do you know what plant zone you are in?  I’m in Va, & the zone was recently changed to an 8.  I leave mine in the ground all year long  and  have never separated them.  This winter has been colder than usual so it remains to be seen if they come back this summer or not.   Do you dig yours up every winter or leave them in the ground?

photo signature_2_zps56806189.gif

#5100320 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

Hi Gayle

I usually leave them in the ground, but this one was getting too big for the space.  This has been a cold winter, but I have never had any problems with them being left outside.  I talked with a master gardener today and they said I was OK with what I did, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the plant survives my torture to it.  I now have to figure out where to replant all these extra bulbs.  I gave two away yesterday and still have many. I may take a few to the garden club meeting on Monday, too.

#5100390 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Glad you got an answer.   Good luck with them.

photo signature_2_zps56806189.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.