Soil in large flower pots

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Soil in large flower pots

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hopscotch 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

conniefarmer
    Participant

How often do I have to change the soil in my large flower pots?

#5144299 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I guess it depends on exactly how big are your pots.  I empty my window boxes every year and put new soil in bc they are not very deep.  But for my half-barrels, I just take out the top 8-12″ and replace that with new soil.  Any smaller pots, I empty and replace.

#5144304 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Have wondered about that for some time!  Thanks for the advice!  Often I replenish my flower pots I reuse w/ the soil that comes w/ the plants you buy annually from the nurseries or wherever you buy them!  Just shake off as much soil from the roots as you can into the flower pot, & there you have it!

#5144674 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I do the same thing as Iris43.  After I take off the top soil, I place that in the bottom of another large pot or incorporate it into my annual gardens.  I just can’t force myself to throw away perfectly good dirt.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5145080 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

I usually empty all my pots into the raised beds, and start with new soil in the pots.  I save the leaves from the fall, then in the spring I put a bunch in the pot or a bucket and crush them up with my hands.  Then I pour new topsoil in with the leaves and mix it together, then put that mix in the pots.  Adds organic matter to the soil, and is also a lot lighter than plain soil.  Besides, it’s fun sticking your hands in the leaves and just crushing and stirring away.

Leroy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.