Soft &/or wood cuttings?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Soft &/or wood cuttings?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by growingranny_va_z7 growingranny_va_z7 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hoping you can help me with a couple of questions about cuttings (which I hardly ever do).

We recently had a rain storm which snapped a few flower stems; one of them is a new perennial coreopsis. After digging in the wet soil, I took the stem which had a fresh flower blooming on the tip & planted it half way down its stem. The stem had another set of leaves on it so I buried the leaves with half the stem. It seems to be doing exceptionally well & the single flower is still blooming?  I did something similar with a fuchsia plant I accidentally snapped in the beginning of Spring & it grew as if it were its own plant?

Can I do this with say a branch of a Weigela tree/shrub? What about other woody plants, do they root as easily as the herbaceous plants? A few of you gave me important info about Peonies earlier, is it possible to submerge a peony set of leaves/stem & get a new blooming plant?

And lastly, if burying the leaves is helpful for cuttings why do the professionals suggest stripping the leaves first? Is there a benefit to that method that I am missing?

Thank you.

#5273410 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

No for the peony but some things like Weigelia root really well, strip off the leaves up to where you put the cutting and keep it moist. Peonies need a little of the root to start new ones. At least that has been my experience with them. If you want to really find out about a particular woody plant Google “how to start …… from cuttings” and you should find good information there. I did that with Oleanders and had terrific luck rooting them.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5273419 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I’m glad Molly answered you.  She is the whiz on starting new plants from cuttings.  I am terrible but I do know you are supposed to strip the leaves off below the soil line.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5273922 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

A few times I’ve been able to start Hydrangeas’ stems…after they root it will take a long time to really bushy up…grow nicely…

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5273925 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I agree with Gayle….Molly spoke….listen to her… she is the cutting queen.  I do some things from cuttings, but it is pure luck if they grow….lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5273969 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Thank you ladies. Believe I have a visual now? But not completely…are you saying that some roots may/will develop where the leaves are removed…below the soil line or from the bottom of the cutting only?

Thanks again.

#5274071 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

When they first root it’s usually from the bottom of the cutting or close to it.   I’ve never had anything root further up with no roots on the bottom.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5274092 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

No leaves under water …JMO…

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5274116 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Ok then, think I have it now. Thanks for the explanation & advice, ladies.

#5274139 Report Abuse
    auntcon
    auntcon
    Participant

I know you can root rose cuttings.  I put some trimmings in a nearby pot last year and they were rooted and blooming…then DH took over watering with the hose and I ASSUMED he was watering that pot as well…turns out he was not.  Boo Hoo

Find more about Weather in Papillion, NE

#5274166 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

The one thing I have rooted in water is the Oleander, I googled that to see how to do it and it said to use water and change the water every day. I did that, the first roots came out from the bottom, a couple sent roots out of the next joint above it too. I have the first 3 potted in soil now and a lot more cuttings in water now. I normally don’t use water to root cuttings, the roots are more tender than if they are rooted in a soil mix..peat, perlite and vermiculite. I use a rooting hormone on some things, some things won’t root if you use it. I have a book that is good for finding the “recipe” for most woody plants.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.