Seeds you DON'T want to share!

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Seeds you DON'T want to share!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    KBratnTex
    KBratnTex
    Participant

Thought it might be interesting to see what we, as gardeners, face as in our areas. The biggest bane of my existence here are stickers. Our heat kind of makes it the perfect playground for some real “uglies”! I won’t bother with botanical names. LOL

We call these grass burrs. They hurt like the dickens and are vicious because the burrs have hooks at the tip and are so hard to extract. They will completely take over an area in no time and get at least knee high. However, if you are diligent about gathering the heads before they mature or you mow and spread them, you can keep them controlled.

The devil’s claw. If stepped on, they can really bury in ones barefoot(and I am always barefoot). But mostly they grab your ankles as you walk by. We used to gather them and glue felt and faces on them when we were kids. I don’t see them much anymore as they mostly grow in pastures and I’m not a farm girl anymore.

Ah, the mighty goat head! Oh what a pain it is to step on one of these! However, it is a giant, straight burr and can be removed with a hardy yank and much pain. LOL They grow flat and each vine is quite large with just a main stem. They are easily controlled by keeping them pulled before the burrs/seed ripens and falls.

The khaki weeds. Now these little buggers are new to our area, caused by our extended drought, so say the experts. They’re even becoming famous for taking over whole counties in our area! I’ve never met a meaner more hearty adversary. You can kill the mother plant with weed killer, but each of those little spikes makes another. So, I police my yard before each mowing with bucket and hand hoe in hand. I am the only yard in the neighborhood that has not been taken over. The burrs have hooks on the end and are so tiny you usually can’t get them out at all.

What grows in your area and makes you crazy?

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes&airportcode=K0F2&ForcedCity=Bellevue&ForcedState=TX&zip=76228&language=EN

#5149241 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Thistles I keep digging out whenever I see one, wild daisies, mustard. quack grass in the flower beds, and several others I can’t recall the names of but they are listed in one of my Garden Gate magazines and pictures of what the weed looks like.  They have one in every issue so I can tell what I have….except when someone asks me what it is!  I think I have some kind of sorrel in the flowerbeds but forgot the name.  I think Molly told me what it was one time.

#5149276 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Chickweed and another one whose name just went out of my head.  LOL  When I think of it, I’ll be back.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5149279 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

The maple tree seed pods that are whirling themselves down now all over my lawn and in every nook and cranny in my gardens. I’ll be pulling maple tree seedlings all summer into fall and then again next spring.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5149445 Report Abuse
    KBratnTex
    KBratnTex
    Participant

Another thing I try to stay on top of is the beggar lice. They really like the fence line and if I miss any, they just stick all over my clothes as I ride by on the mower. Ugh!

http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/cgi-bin/banner/ban/wxBanner?bannertype=wu_bluestripes&airportcode=K0F2&ForcedCity=Bellevue&ForcedState=TX&zip=76228&language=EN

#5149983 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Purple loosestrife!  It is on a mission to conquer the world.  It is a pretty, but OH SO invasive plant.  I couldn’t share seeds with you if I wanted to…against the law here….lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5149993 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

Wild geraniums for me . Was given a plant not knowing  some was in the pot and now it is taking over the lawn & grows up into the beds to choke out the flowers . The dang stuff even climbs the wood sides on my raised veggie beds grrr . And wild violets not as bad as the Geraniums but a bugger to keep from spreading . I don’t use sprays .

Sandy K

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5150012 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Some of you have much uglier and hurtful weeds than I do. My banes are Red Sorrel, Creeping Charlie(the worst of the worse), wild violets, Honeysuckle, wild morning glories and vetch. But when you put your house on an old sheep farm next to farm fields they were here before me and will be here when I am gone.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5150216 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

The one I couldn’t think of is Bitter Cress.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.