Saturday on the VIP- August 2

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Saturday on the VIP- August 2

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  albertagran 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

This will be the last time you see me here for a week..that is if it quits raining long enough to get the truck packed. We were supposed to do it yesterday and of course it rained. We should have been on our way by now but it will be awhile before we get started. I have to get a shower and pack the frozen food into the cooler, finish hauling everything out to load. It would have been so much easier to stay home but I am sure once we get there we will have a great time. So everyone have a great week, I will catch up on every thing once I get home again.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5269947 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Good morning Molly safe travel and enjoy your vacation. My dd called me about 2 am and said she made to NC so I can relax a little bit. Thank you for the prayers and good wishes.

I’m off to do my open house I hope this works because this little town has nothing to offer and if you don’t have a car it makes it tough. At least I’m trying and my boss is pleased.

Have a good day all.

Sandy M.

#5269952 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good morning Molly, Sandy and all. We had a heavy thunderstorm last evening and everything is still very wet. Housework this morning and if it is dry enough, later the lawn will finally get cut.

Molly, I hope you have a great vacation.
    Sandy, glad dd got to her destination. Hopefully with back-to-school in mind it will help fill those vacancies.

Have a great day all.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5269961 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  It is 53º here this morning and we did not get any rain.  There is none in the forecast until next week and then it is predicted for almost every day.  We do need it because July was 4 inches less then normal rain fall.

Molly….I hope you have a great time on your vacation.  You so deserve to get away and have some r&r.  I imagine you are on the road by now….so see you when you return.

Sandy….glad to hear that your DD made it to NC.  I bet that was one phone call you didn’t mind getting in the wee hours.  Good luck with your open house today.

Wendy….I do hope you get a chance to mow and play with your new toy….lol.

Have a great day everyone.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5269965 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Good morning.

Molly have a wonderful vacation. I understand your feelings about your desire to stay home rather than go on vacation. I am content with getting worn out getting things done around home rather than getting worn out by spending money going somewhere. I have to admit though, I do thoroughly enjoy visiting with Charlene for a couple of days but there I am not getting wore out but relaxing (once the drive is over, lol). Are you driving your truck alone or is your daughter riding with you?

Sandy good luck with the open house! Housing here is getting outrageous. The city is growing too fast with new homes and rentals being built constantly. On the news the other night they said our population went up from 166,000 in 2010 to 180,000 now, too big for my taste.

Wendy I really need to cut the lawn over at the house. It has been so dry it has only been mowed once this year.

It will be a warm 83º but I need to get something done over at the house. I will work over there for a while and then take my car to get new brake pads put in at noon and then back to the house. Brian will try to get more things moved out of the house today so I will need to stay out of his way. My moving help is dwindling for the 16th. Son in law and grandson will be on vacation in Florida at that time, 2 other grandsons will be be working since they both now have jobs so 3 of my granddaughters said “Don’t worry Grandma, we can help”, lol.

Have a good day and will talk to you all later.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5269993 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good morning.  59 and overcast.  I would like to see just one morning above 60.  This is summer isn’t it?  I do hope the long range forecast is correct.  They are predicting warmer than usual temperatures starting in August into November.  That would be a welcome change.

Yesterday before work I got the side yard all set up with the planters and garden art.  I still need to fill the containers and get them planted.  I have Cameron all day today so thought we would weed the big vegetable garden but there is very little hope for sun and it is way to wet from the dew to try to weed.

I had great plans for today and tomorrow but between the weather and the fact that I have to work unexpectedly tomorrow at 2 looks like not much is going to get done outside.  I am hoping the girl I am working for tomorrow will work my shift Monday and just maybe the weather will cooperate and I can get outside again.

Sandy so glad you DD made it to NC without incident.  Hope you open house goes well today.

Molly, I am sure you are on the road by now but do hope you have a great vacation.

Kathy, sure hope you can get moved in by the 16th as planned.

Wendy, you have been getting a lot of rain.  Hopefully you will be able to get the lawn mowed today however.

Charlene, our forecast for this week is showers everyday.  Hope you get some rain soon.

I need to get next door and make up one bed.  Have guests coming in sometime today.

Have a great weekend.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5269995 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Good morning.  Molly have a safe trip and fun on your vacation.

Sandy, glad your DD made it safely.

Just work around the house  for me today.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5269999 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Good morning.  It’s 55 and sunny.  My mom and great nephew (8) and niece (6) are coming up.  It’s our towns festival days, so they have lots of craft vendors set up.  Mom and I are going to go check that out, she’s going to get a painting reframed, and we’ll hit the clearance sales at the nursery.  Kids will stay here and play, and poor dd gets to be in charge.  They actually all play really well together, so they’ll be easy.

Appliances came yesterday.  I have half the stuff put away, and half still displaced.  We have a couple issues with some of our lower cabinets and are waiting to hear from the company.  Kind of haulted the install, but we are going on vacation tomorrow anyway.  We are going to visit some state parks in the southern most part of the state.  We’ll stay 4 nights in the SE, and luckily are only 10 miles from Charlene’s, so will get to visit!  Then we’ll head to the SW and stay 2 nights there.  Should be fun!

I hope all have a great day, and a great week.  I’ll talk to you all next Sunday.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5270009 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Believe it or not I am still home:( In fact the girls are still sleeping. I have everything ready to go into the truck but I forgot that it is only 1-1/2 hour drive instead of the 10 hours I was used to in Al. So we can’t check in anyway so I filled the hummingbird feeders, added more chlorine to the pool, watered the greenhouse and left a note for the girl who is feeding the animals. DD and I are going in the truck, DGD and her BFF are going in GD’s car. I hate waiting when I am all ready to go but I don’t have a choice.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5270012 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

LOL, Molly.  You reminded me of a vacation we took when the kids were small.  We got up early in the morning and took off at 6am headed to the House on the Rock in Wisconsin.  We arrived there at 9am and they didn’t open until 10….guess we could have slept in.  At least you now have time to do some of the “extra” jobs.

Melissa….glad your appliances arrived….one step closer to finishing.  I hope the company gets back to you soon on the cabinets.  Looking forward to seeing you.

Last night I told DH a list of things I’d like to get done this morning.  When I got up at 6am he was chomping at the bit to get some of those jobs done…..well, to make a long story short….they are all finished already and it is 9am.  I need more coffee….lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270016 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Good morning!  Seeing that Molly is still home, I just wanted to wish her a good vacation and safe travels.  I saw yesterday that the church contractor had a surprise for you.  What a thoughtful thing for him to do for a thoughtful lady!  I hope you find something special to use it on for yourself, Molly.  You surely deserve it.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5270024 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Just wanted to get that posted in case Molly was still on the board.  It usually takes me forever to post and I figured she would miss it if I had done my usual thing.

I did a little reading yesterday but never managed to post anything.  For the life of me, I don’t recall why I didn’t.  Guess I was busy doing something or other.  We had a really nice shower in the afternoon that lasted about 20 minutes.  It was steady and just what we needed for the grass seed that DH has sown.  I have faithfully been turning on the sprinkler so we do have grass coming up.  It looks so much better than the dust bowl the birds had been enjoying.  I woke up to the sound of sprinkles hitting the solar blanket for the pool.  It looks like we have gotten more rain this morning.  It is gloomy so far, but if we get the rain I am not going to complain a bit.  We surely need the precipitation.

Besides waking up to the sound of rain hitting the pool cover, I was truly awakened by my DSis#3 calling me at 7 am to alert me to a dire water issue in our area.  At that time, we were not allowed to have ANY contact with our water.  We weren’t to drink or touch the water in any way.  Boiling it only made the situation worse.  Apparently, there is a problem with the water in Lake Erie because of algae bloom that is worse than normal.  Just a short while ago, the mayor of Toledo came on and said we can now have contact with the water i.e. wash our hands and shower, but we still cannot drink it.  Needless to say, there has been a run on bottled water in this area and either stores don’t have it, or gas stations are charging big bucks for what they have.  I understand that more than 500,000 people are affected by this whole issue.  What a mess!  Supposedly, the governor is working to divert water to our area so businesses and hospitals can get back to functioning as close to normal as possible.  DH had already had 3 cups of coffee by the time DSis had called.  Now we wait and see what happens.  I hate it when he gets sick!  Could be a long weekend at our house.  sick

Sandy, I am glad to hear that your DD made it safely to where she was headed.  A safe arrival is always one of the best times to hear from ones child, isn’t it?

Got to love a granddaughter that steps up to help, don’t you, Kathy?  I hope the move goes better than you imagine it will.

Bette, I hope your coworker will swap hours for you and your weather holds out so you can do somethings you need to get done.

How nice that Melissa will be getting away and able to visit with Charlene as well!  Have fun, ladies!!!

Have a good day, everyone.

Well, I guess I better get back to the real world.  I don’t want to, but things do need doing.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5270046 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good morning.  A cloudy, cool  day, probably more rain on the way.  We had rain overnight into the morning hrs. & it was 71º ay 9:30 this morning.

The GKs went home last night.  Mike met me at a Bob Evan’s about halfway, we had a late dinner & they went home from there.

Not doing much of anything today.  Paid a couple of bills & tied up a Mexican Sunflower that had gotten beat down by the rain overnight.  The rest of the day will be spent reading & goofing around on the computer I think,  My satellite service is still out (TV)  but I don’t watch daytime TV anyway.  It went out yesterday morning & they thought it might be from the impending storms but we never got any storms & it’s still out.  I called & a tech is coming tomorrow.  Yes, on Sunday.

I’m assuming Molly is on the way or maybe there by now.  Hoping for nice weather for her the rest of the week.

Karen, I’m hoping for you, that they get the water issue squared away quickly.  What are they doing about it.  They must have done something to make it safe to touch?  The only notice you got was from the phone call?

Sandy, glad your daughter made it to NC safely.  Did she go by herself?  How long did it actually take her?

Bette , I heard that about August being warmer.  It’s cooler here than normal also but seeing as how cooler means 80s, rather than upper 90s , or higher, I’m not complaining a lot.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5270053 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Wow!  Is something going on with the board for anyone else?  I had to get off of Firefox, which I usually use, just so I could get here.  I am using IE now.  I got here with no trouble using IE, but when I tried to get to Garden Chat, the only way I could do that was with the links on the right side of the page.  Except for headings, the center section was blank.  Weird day for me, I guess.

Gayle, our local media is ALL over this and has been since very early on.  Many folks received text messages from television stations in the middle of the night, thus the run on bottled water.  I just hadn’t been up yet and DSis wanted to warn me before I made coffee or tea.  I don’t know what they did to make the water safe to touch.  It sounded like maybe they did some retesting and determined that it wasn’t as toxic to the touch as previously had been thought.   From what I understand, water samples are being sent to Cincinnati to be tested using a different protoccol to see what they find there.   That will guide them in what the next step will be.  This is freakin’ scary!  More than half a million people being affected by this has got to be a phenomenal headache for those in charge.  Not that I would ever wish to be a politician, but that is especially true today.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5270057 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

The Board started acting up for me too just a little while ago.  I got off for a few minutes, came back & all is fine again.

I stay away from IE since they had that big virus outbreak on there a few months ago.  I hear there is some kind of “Patch” ( might be the wrong word.) that you are supposed to download before using it now but I just stay away.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.