Saturday evening chit chat

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Saturday evening chit chat

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by takyslaky takyslaky 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I know it isn’t evening yet, but I am done working for the day except for watering later tonight.  I need to clean up to go to a benefit for DDIL’s dad.  He has colorectal cancer and it has spread to his liver….and he has no health insurance.  Some of his wife’s co-workers and friends organized this benefit.  I donated a few pillows and plants for the silent auction….and we are going to eat.  I am not sure what is on the menu.  It would be easier to stay  home, but it is one of those things you’ve got to do.

Today is in the lower 80s….one of the hottest days so far this year.  With the lack of precipitation my plants don’t look so hot and our grass is dead in all of the sunny areas.  I will water the containers later, but we don’t water grass.  We just let it go dormant.  Once we get rain, it will come back to life.

I hope Molly got to her destination and hope she has a great time.

Karen….be careful with your water situation…..keeping my fingers crossed that your DH isn’t sick from his coffee this morning.

Hope you all had a great day whatever you did or are doing…..we know Gayle is having “me” time….lol….will check back later this evening.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270077 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Hello everyone!  Well I never got on yesterday, at least I don’t even remember.  What was supposed to be a wet Friday turned out to be a very nice day.

My DD, her sons, and I decided to spend the day at the beach.  It’s not too far from home.  I was surprised that we have such nice beach areas relatively close by where you can just spend the day.  It was so much fun.  Yes, I did go into the lake.  They had lifeguards through the entire day.  There were nature walk paths, and a farm we could visit nearby. Boy did I get a sunburn.  I am so white so it’s easy to burn.  After the beach we did decide to visit the farm.  I took quite a few pictures…..including weeds….LOL

When It was time to leave I decided to bring my youngest grandson for a sleepover.  Well it’s more like a 2 sleepovers…LOL.  What a day.  He decided he wanted porridge this morning.  For lunch he had another request.  When we digested our lunch, I took him to the park.  What a glorious park.  There are 4 mega maple trees that give you share.  Plus there is always a breeze, and if you want sun, you just have to go to the other side.  We stopped at the Dairy Queen for an ice cream.  When we got home I set up the sprinkler for him to run through.  Now it’s time to catch up with my dishes and laundry.  After dinner, we might play Monopoly….that is if my eyes stay open…LOL.

Hope you all had a nice day.  I will have to real lots of posts to catch up.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5270079 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good evening all. A nice summer day here. It’s hot enough but we have had so much rain, it’s still too wet to do anything. I did transplant some zinnia seedlings. The Worx isn’t working out too well. I’ve about had it with it. The string will not spool properly and when it breaks, which is often, you cannot find the end to rethread it. I already gave my old one to my father. This one may be going back.
    I had a nice day. I took my mother to the farmer’s market,ran some errands, took a squirrel to the park, and watched the hummingbirds. Tonight I’ll probably read.
    Have a great night all.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5270081 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

6:30 and there’s that sound again. I guess more rains coming. It shouldn’t be this dark this early.

Charlene, wish I could send you some.

#5270082 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Wendy, you might remember that I called the customer service for Worxs and they were great.  I did receive yesterday the new battery charger which was supposed to charge the battery.  Well I had the new one charging all night.  When I tried to start it up….nada.  Nothing!  So looks like I will have to bring it to a service shop.  Well let me tell you the service shop is about 20 miles from here.  I will have to spend money on gas.  I am just hoping they will take my machine back and give me a new one. By the time everything is settled I won’t need it….it will snow….grrrrr.  So much for battery operated machines.  I must say the lawn mower is great…so far.  I’ve been trying to trim by hand….grrr.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5270090 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Sorry to hear that Stella. I’m not a happy camper right now. If the new spools they are sending me are no better, it’s going back.

#5270097 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good evening everybody.  I didn’t do much of anything today.  Just lazed around most of the day,

I did clean sand out of the van & clean some spots on the carpet & seats.  Did a small load of laundry & paid a couple of bills.

My satellite for the TV is still out.  The tech will come tomorrow to see what’s up with that.  I have some movies I can watch  or just go to bed early & read.

Wendy, after hearing such good things about the WORX products (I have their mower)  I’m surprised to hear you are having problems.  I would ask for a new one.  Did you buy it locally or order it online?  I have seen them in stores around here.  Either WM or Lowe’s.  I forget which.   I got the mower thru Amazon.com and my neighbor has their weed eater.  I see him using it regularly so I guess not having any problems with it.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5270108 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Good evening.  It just started raining about 15 minutes ago.  It was suppose to start by mid afternoon.  Just went out and pulled all the baskets that hang completely under the canopies off and put them out for a nice drink from Mother Nature.

Cameron and I had a nice day.  We managed to get all the big containers filled with soil and ready to plant.  My wheelbarrow had a flat tire after I got it completely loaded with a large load of dirt.  Had to empty that into my mortar pans and find an alternate way of moving it but we got it done.  Had to order a new tube for the wheelbarrow tire.  I ran out of potting soil so had to make a trip to town to get more.  He fell asleep in the car on the way home so I came in for a little to eat, laid down for a bit to watch TV and fell asleep.  DGD SO other woke me up when he came to pick up Cameron.  Guess I don’t make a very good child sitter falling asleep like that.

After he left I did get the lawn mowed and all the equipment and tools put away for the night.

Have some supper on cooking but in no hurry to eat since I had a late lunch.  Plan on doing some housework this evening.  I can’t remember the last time I could see the top of my eating counter beneath all the mail and paper work.  Between all my medical stuff and some financial things I am working on it is a mess.  Need to go through it all and get it organized and in folders.

Karen, I hope they get your water situation fixed quickly and that DH is OK after drinking it this morning.

Gayle, sounds like you are having a me day.  It is great when the GKs come to visit but also nice when they go home.

Stella, glad you had good weather for the beach.  I am sure you will be busy for the next couple of days.  I didn’t realize there was a lake so close to you.

Wendy, hope you get the situation with your trimmer straightened out.  Hopefully it is just a bad one as I do like the Worx product.

Need to go get my supper.  Have been here forever typing this and I thin the idea of cleaning is getting less and less going to happen.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5270118 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Hello everyone.

I had a bad day and I am not in a good mood at all.

I went to the house early and there was no water to clean with or to water plants which they desperately need. I found this surprising since the water works were not working this weekend but then Brian and Sarah came over to get some things and she said she forgot to tell the water department to leave the water on until the 15th. By the time I get to the water department Monday after work to pay the deposit of getting it hooked up it will be Wednesday before it gets turned on. My plants will be history by then and 4 days lost getting anything done in the house.

I then went to my daughters to get my brake pads changed by her boyfriend. When I had got a new tire a couple of months ago they told me I needed new brake pads on the rear but my rotors were good. When the boyfriend got the tires off the rotors we completely rusted and the one hydralic piece (?caliber) was broke. New will cost $200 and used will cost $140. I just can’t afford that right now so I will be driving with no rear brakes for a while!

Sooooo….today was a completely wasted day for me getting anything accomplished. Very, very frustrating!

I will now get off my pity party and wish you all a good evening.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5270119 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Good evening.  Well, I don’t know much, if anything, more than I did when I posted this morning.  We still can’t drink the water.  They are saying we can shower and do laundry, but we can’t do our dishes yet.  I am so wishing I had run the dishwasher yesterday!  DH was able to buy some water to go with what we did have on hand already.  I think we will be okay there.  We may have to go out and buy disposable silverware and cups if this water ban isn’t lifted soon.  By way of a boost from the weather, we do need a good day or two of wind to circulate the lake water.  Unfortunately, all that windy weather we had in the spring is nowhere to found now.  I had a feeling we would be missing the wind in the summer.  I just didn’t think it would be like this.  I was thinking more along the lines of hot, dead air that didn’t want to move.  From what I am hearing, the only restaurant in town that had its lights on today was Kentucky Fried Chicken.  I don’t know what they knew that others didn’t.  I can’t imagine why they opened up; everyone was in a line somewhere to get water.  A press conference was just held that said the city / county officials are waiting on test results from Cincinnati and a university in Michigan before they can offer any more information.  One test won’t be available until after 6 am tomorrow, so we are in a holding pattern for now.  The mayor had a little something to say about how politics has got to stop dictating how we treat our resources.  I’m sure he will wish he hadn’t stepped into that arena.  It will be a headache he doesn’t need right now.   For those who commented earlier, DH is still doing okay.  I have hopes now that all will be well.  The mayor mentioned something about checking on the possibility of a false positive result from the test they did earlier.  That would be nice.  It could also account for why DH is feeling as well as he is.  It’s been quite a day, but it could also be much worse.  I’m thankful it hasn’t been.

It looks like the rain showers we did get helped with my veggie garden.  I am seeing mildew on the leaves of a couple of my squash, but I am also seeing another zucchini finally, and a couple more acorn squash.  Can anyone tell me if my growing these vegetables in pots would cause them to stay smaller than they would be if I grew them in-ground?  I know the eggplant stayed smallish last year.  This year the spaghetti squash is not getting very large either.  It hit a certain point and just stopped growing.  I wonder if I have to get seed specially formulated for growing in pots.  The seed I am using is not specified for container gardening.  I’d love opinions on this.

I think I will read a while then head to bed with the hope of waking up to better news in the morning.  Have a good night!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5270120 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Stella….I think you did stop by and say “Hi” on the VIP yesterday as you were heading out the door.  It sounds like you had a great day with family….and extra special to have one come home with you for a sleepover!  Enjoy the evening with him.

Gayle….hope that he can get your satellite fixed…..even if you don’t watch much TV, it’s nice to be able to do it if and when you want.

Bette…..that is too funny about you falling asleep.  I am sure they understood since you have been burning the candles at both ends.  I hope you can get Monday off to have a me day.  The wheelbarrow that I plant flowers in has a flat tire….but it is just flat on the bottom side….lol.

Wendy….I told DH the problems you are having.  He said it is possible that you may have it in upside down?  His fits in either way, but only works when the arrows are on top (he told me this, so I am just relaying the massage)  He also said to tell you that on their website is a trouble shooting chapter….guess he used that a couple of times when he 1st got it.  I hope you can get it figured out.  Isn’t it amazing how the infomercials make them look so easy to use and then you get one and it is a complete different story.  He does like his, so I hope you can figure out the problem.

We had a good supper of chicken, potato salad, pasta salad, beans, and a brownie.  It was very good and there was a nice crowd there.  I hope things go well on the auction.

I think I will go to bed early and then wake up early to get a few things done before the heat of the day.  DH needs a couple of things in Rochester tomorrow, so I may ride along.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270122 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Hey there, Karen.  I guess we were posting at the same time.  I do hope that it was a false reading and all will be fine tomorrow.  We still have lots of wind….how about I trade you some wind for some rain?  I think we would both be happy then.

I didn’t have any luck with cucumbers in pots this year and I even grew the bush cucumbers suggested for pots and used the size pots that they specified.  I think part of my problem was that they did not dry out good enough between waterings (DGS helped me with those….sometimes he watered when I wasn’t even home…lol).  Also all of the nights we had in the 40s in early July were not helpful to the cukes or the tomatoes….most of them have blighted now.  I am just going to let the tomatoes that are on them ripen and then throw them.  That will be less for DH to water if I have to have surgery which sounds like a strong possibility.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270129 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Have you heard something I missed, Charlene?

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5270139 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

About what? (insert stupid face)  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5270144 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

You mentioned maybe having to have surgery?  I thought perhaps I missed a phone call from your doctor or something.  I was not here a couple of times recently so I wasn’t sure.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.