Salpiglossis / Painted Tongue help

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds Salpiglossis / Painted Tongue help

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I know quite a few of you have successfully grown this from seed and I am going to need your advice.  I have gotten some to germinate by surface sowing the seed and covering covering it with a black piece of paper, then putting it by the light for heat.  My first question to you all is, what do I do next?  Do I continue to wait for more of them to come up OR should I take the paper off now and put them under lights?  Once I have that mastered, what comes next?  What have you done once they germinated?  I haven’t really gotten much past the germination process.

Any thoughts would be most welcome, and if you have had to answer this question for me before, I’m sorry.  CRS stinks!  ;)

Thanks!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5107344 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Karen,if some have germinated I would put them under the lights.  If you keep that paper on them the ones that are up might die.

Keep them under light 12 hr a day & don’t let them dry out.  That’s it till they are big enough to transplant.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5107353 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I have never gotten past waiting for them to germinate. I’m curious to see the responses.

Gayle, how long did yours take to germinate?

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5107441 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Karen….I also would remove the paper and put them under the lights.  They will still get 12 hrs of dark per day, so you should get more to germinate.  I just planted mine Sunday and the seed is about 5 yrs old, so I am not expecting a high germination rate.  I hope you get lots of them to germinate…grow and bloom….they are a pretty flower for sure.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5107454 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Okay.  Then paper removed it is!  When I checked on them this morning, quite a few more have spouted.  Looking forward to some pretties!  Keeping my fingers crossed.  ;)

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5111289 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Well, I am back for more advice on the Painted Tongue.  They are doing really well.  Taking the cover off of them was the key.  Thank you for the correct guidance on at, ladies!

What I am wondering about now is when should I transplant them.  What do you think?  They don’t have true leaves yet, but are getting tall enough that maybe I ought to transplant them – about 2″ tall.  I know Bette said that she doesn’t always wait on the true leaves.  I don’t either, but when I’ve gone ahead before, I was a little more sure of myself than I am here.  These little darlings just intimidate the crud out of me, I guess.    I don’t want to wait too long or transplant too soon, so I am going to come to those who have grown this before.  Thoughts on this are?

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5111368 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

If they are falling over I would go ahead & transplant deeper.  If not falling over, wait  a while.  JMO

#5111371 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Wendy I did them last year & I don’t remember how long it took.  None of them survived to blooming stage.

I went searching & found it in last year’s journal — 9 days

#5114039 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I just checked my planting time of my Salpiglossis and their germination time….I planted them March 2 and they started to pop up on March 7….5 days.  Mine are almost 2 inches tall, but I will wait until they get their true leaves before transplanting.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.