Salad greens

Home Forums Backyard Chat General Salad greens

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Wendy Wendy 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

With all my talk of dandelions and since I eat dandelion greens I was wondering what different salad greens you all have tried? I’ve tried most of them!

#5138433 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Just Lettuce.  It all I like for a salad.  Usually plain ole Ice Berg but sometimes I’ll get a mix that has other types in it.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5138440 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Oh Gayle you should try a Baby Spring Mix ready to eat bag. They don’t really taste different but the different vitamins are there. Make sure to get the baby greens if you do! They’re not so stem-y.

#5138604 Report Abuse
    Lizzie
    Lizzie
    Participant

I eat a salad almost every day–I love them. The mixed green salad mixes they sell now are wonderful–I try them all.

#5138682 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I like the mixed greens!  Dandelion greens are great, too!

#5138771 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I think I have had that one Wendy.  It sounds familiar.  What is in it?

#5138790 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I buy head lettuce in the store.  I can remember eating beet greens when my grandmother cooked them.  She also cooked dandelion greens with pork or bacon and they were like a Spring tonic and good.

I like red cabbage, cooked.

I never buy the Dole salad greens in a package.  I make my own tossed salad with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, bacon bits, sharp cheese, ham, salami and/or turkey.  If I don’t have the meat I just fix it plain and sometimes add the sharp cheese only to it.

#5138851 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Gayle all kinds of stuff in those bags and they differ but and all are good. I like to take the Spring Mix and put pears or other fruit on it and eat like that.

Posy what’s up with Dole salad? I used to make my own with lettuce heads too but I find I eat more salad when it’s already bagged! Lazy!

Lizzie I eat salad every day too! I thought I was the only one that craved them!

#5138939 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I grow my own lettuce in early summer & add my own home grown tomatoes & cukes . But when that is gone I buy the mixes.  Don’t eat salad much in the winter because all the veggies that go with it taste like cardboard.

#5138943 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Gayle-That’s for sure! Nothing tastes like fresh veggies! My dad always had a garden and I miss the “overload!” To cover up the store taste I just add stronger flavors to the salad and pretend it’s home grown! I envy you growing your own lettuce! Gets too hot here to keep it going for long.

#5139036 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I like spring mix in those plastic containers!  I think the greens in those containers usually look a little better than the kind in the bags!

#5139220 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Marg-I think the same but can’t always find the containers. When in the bags the lettuce gets gets squished and then goes bad faster.

#5139310 Report Abuse

Knitnut__WA
    Participant

Since this weird diet there aren’t many greens I haven’t tried.  As the others know, I have been known to forage outside ;o).  My last fiasco was to eat cat tail sprouts.  I have yet to try the roots and tops.  The whole cat tail is edible.

The first time I planted mesculan (sp) mix I didn’t know what it looked like.  When some of it sprouted up all over the garden, I realized that I had been eating weeds!  lol

#5139430 Report Abuse
    Wendy
    Wendy
    Participant

Knit-Really? Weeds?? LOL! So funny! Yes I’ve heard of cat tails. I think I’d only want the roots (bulb?) though! The Native Americans ate that some I read. You should change your avatar to Weeds instead! :) What else have you foraged? Sounds interesting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.