Rusty lettuce……………………………

Home Forums Backyard Chat Food Rusty lettuce……………………………

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Posynut_NY_zone4 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Bought a head of Foxy lettuce on special for 99 cents last week at TOPS Market.

Today I decided I would have a tossed salad when I got into the lettuce the center was all rusty and many of the leaves had to be tossed out.    I trimmed and trimmed but didn’t leave a lot of the lettuce left.  May have some left for lettuce on sandwiches.

I will ask them if they got a bad batch or what because a good share of the head is not useable.  I don’t know if DH saved the store receipt or not so I could return it  for replacement.

#5270372 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well if it is coming from California which is where most of our lettuce does come from, with their drought it may be the cause of it…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5270537 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

DS was off on vacation today and stopped this morning.  I asked him about it and he said all the lettuce is coming through like that now….due to too much rain and the heads can not dry out so the lettuce is rusty.  So guess he had trucks with that on it, and had to reject them, but he didn’t say where the trucks were from.  He has produce trucks come from CA and many states.   He is produce inspector for wholesaler out of town and before that was store produce manager for many years.  That is all he has ever worked in except for short stint as assistant mgr. at Dollar General Store in between jobs.

So that is what I found out about head lettuce.  So I will buy either Romaine or leaf lettuce until the head lettuce is better for buying.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.