Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tigsy 4 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Here’s a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds from last week, they sure do love that jewel weed.

http://birdsofthebog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ruby-throated-Hummingbird9359.jpg

http://birdsofthebog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ruby-throated-Hummingbird9444.jpg

-birdsofthebog.com

#5284906 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Wow!!!! just gorgeous…. ours are so busy here… draining a feeder daily….. thanks for sharing them.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5285182 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

I’m not a regular here nor have I been feeding hummers, but I’ve suddenly been noticing them in the bush/tree outside our window. (I’m in northern Illinois.) I’ve seen females sitting out there almost daily, and I never thought we even had hummers here.

I’m thinking about putting up a feeder — would that be advisable at this point in the year? I’ve once in a while seen feeders in the neighborhood. My dad gave me his feeder about 15 years ago, and I read up on feeding hummers but got scared off with how easy it might be to let the nectar go bad and sicken them. Back then I was raising 4 kids and had less time for feeding birds! But my kids have all flown the nest and I’m semi-retired now. Any advice?

#5285343 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Magnolia, those are beautiful pictures. And I must thank you for showing me “a first” for hummingbirds as I had never seen one close its eyes while feeding until seeing this/your picture. The little jewel must of felt secure enough to close its eyes while feeding on your flowers.

Tigsy, I would suggest using a feeder that is super easy to clean for your first attempt. Highly recommend hanging a  feeder (even/especially) now, when you see they are searching for nectar. I wish you the best of luck & much success.

Sharon, I believe our last resident hummingbird flew south on Friday but I’m expecting more Northerners to fly through. Enjoy!

#5285674 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Thanks all.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5285969 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

MDgreenery, thanks for the advice. I think I”ll check out what kind of feeders our nearby Lowe’s has and get one and set it up. I was so excited to see even non-feeding hummers right outside our window!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.