Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Here’s a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds from last week, they sure do love that jewel weed.

http://birdsofthebog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ruby-throated-Hummingbird9359.jpg

http://birdsofthebog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ruby-throated-Hummingbird9444.jpg

-birdsofthebog.com

#5284906 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Wow!!!! just gorgeous…. ours are so busy here… draining a feeder daily….. thanks for sharing them.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5285182 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

I’m not a regular here nor have I been feeding hummers, but I’ve suddenly been noticing them in the bush/tree outside our window. (I’m in northern Illinois.) I’ve seen females sitting out there almost daily, and I never thought we even had hummers here.

I’m thinking about putting up a feeder — would that be advisable at this point in the year? I’ve once in a while seen feeders in the neighborhood. My dad gave me his feeder about 15 years ago, and I read up on feeding hummers but got scared off with how easy it might be to let the nectar go bad and sicken them. Back then I was raising 4 kids and had less time for feeding birds! But my kids have all flown the nest and I’m semi-retired now. Any advice?

#5285343 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Magnolia, those are beautiful pictures. And I must thank you for showing me “a first” for hummingbirds as I had never seen one close its eyes while feeding until seeing this/your picture. The little jewel must of felt secure enough to close its eyes while feeding on your flowers.

Tigsy, I would suggest using a feeder that is super easy to clean for your first attempt. Highly recommend hanging a  feeder (even/especially) now, when you see they are searching for nectar. I wish you the best of luck & much success.

Sharon, I believe our last resident hummingbird flew south on Friday but I’m expecting more Northerners to fly through. Enjoy!

#5285674 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Thanks all.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5285969 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

MDgreenery, thanks for the advice. I think I”ll check out what kind of feeders our nearby Lowe’s has and get one and set it up. I was so excited to see even non-feeding hummers right outside our window!

#5287826 Report Abuse
    mary
    mary
    Participant

nice hummers there, saw two last evening while on the swing green/grey ones, they were chasing each other from the feeder!Mary in KY

#5287885 Report Abuse

Laural
    Participant

I have a Ruby-throated hummer still here. Refuses to migrate with the others. Wondering  if I should stop feeding it to encourage it to move on. Sept. 22 is longer by far than I’ve ever seen them in western NY. How much longer do they have before it”s too late?

#5288399 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Cute pic!  Laural, maybe take down the feeder.  I have heard of some folks wintering some that got stuck.  Not sure how to, though!  Maybe contact wildlife rescue people to see what to do about it or drive him down south!  Lol!  Wouldnt that be a neat hummer rescue story if you drove him south? Ha!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by margba margba.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by margba margba.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.