Regional words, phrases, and slang……Friday, July 4

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Regional words, phrases, and slang……Friday, July 4

This topic contains 19 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

This will be an easy one…..

How do you refer to this holiday?

Independence day………………or…………..4th of July?

I always call it the 4th of July.

I don’t want to leave our Canadian friends out,  I know you just had a holiday on July 1st.  Does it have any other names other than Canada Day?

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5260394 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

We have always called it the forth of July .

Sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5260410 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

4th of July here!  Sometimes, just “The 4th”!  of course,  bragging rights here, living in the Cradle of Liberty, grew up in the suburbs of Philly!Went into Philly once on one hot, sweltering, 4th of July day w/ friends who were from CA, living in PA for a while.  It was sooo hot!  Said I wouldnt do that again when Iit gets that hot (temps sweltered to the 100+ that 4th)!  Lol!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by margba margba.
    #5260415 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Just 4th of July or the “4th” is what it is called here in our neck of the woods.

No parade here today either, but one in a town 8 miles away.  HS band goes there to march & play in parade.

#5260418 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Just the fourth, but maybe sometimes, July 4th.

#5260424 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

I’m with Carol, I just call it the “Fourth”.  Lair

#5260450 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

When I was a youngster, July 1 was called Dominion Day here in Canada, celebrating the federation of NS, NB, Que. and Ontario.  In 1983 it was changed to Canada Day in recognition of all the provinces and territories that are a part of our great Country and our independence from Britain.  Until 1964, our flag was the Red Ensign which was red with the British Union Jack in the upper left corner and the Canadian crest in the middle.

When talking about one’s plans for the Day, most will refer to it as ‘July first’,  ie. “I’m going camping for July first wkd”.  But otherwise our celebrations happen on ‘Canada Day’.

Thanks, Charlene, for including ‘Canada Day’ in your Regional words topic.

#5260466 Report Abuse
    robee_pa
    robee_pa
    Participant

The 4th.

Wow now summer is half over.  Where does the time go?

signature 1 photo signature_1.gif

#5260473 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Almost always I refer to it as “the fourth”, or will say “Happy Fourth of July” on occasion.  For some reason, this year I am into the Happy Independence Day thing.  Not sure what that is about.  :)

PilgrimIndiansiggy photo PilgrimIndiansiggy.jpg
    Karen
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5260489 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Lol!  @ Karen!  I used to have a lot of 4th of July type of nicknacks!  I no longer have those kind of things around, not sure where that stuff got too!  Would put it out for 4th of July or Mem Day or Labor Day.  Should collect some of thst stuff again, which will be on sale now!  I do have a little wooden flag I keep out most of the time, except over the holidays!

#5260519 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I think when I was young it was 4th of July.

But we move faster now and every one knows what the 4th is.

I had a magnetic flag with some words – around flag day I discovered if I cut the words off I could stick them on the metal mail slot.  United we stand!

Now if the elected officials would get United!

The paper puts a big flag on one big page  – I stuck the one from flag day out of the window – it was faded – and inserted the fresh one.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5260549 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Usually just the 4th. I had to take my flag down yesterday because of the winds and it is still too windy to put it out. I fly the flag given to my DH when he retired from the Navy after 30 years…sure don’t want anything to happen to that.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5260560 Report Abuse
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    Participant

Fourth of July.

Eva

#5260565 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

“The Fourth” or “4th of July” here in Ill. and in my Minn. hometown. In fact, I was startled the other day to hear someone refer to it as Independence Day!

#5260609 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

The 4th of July or the 4th!

new sig photo signature_12.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.