Question about house wrens ???

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As Question about house wrens ???

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by dena1123 dena1123 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

This is our second year for house wrens and we enjoy them so much.  They are such fun to watch their antics. 

Last year we had 2 broods in 2 different houses about 6 weeks apart . :)

My question pertains to (what we are pretty sure is) the female wren this year.  She has laid her eggs and seems to be feeding babies this week.

However, we re noticing, when she s on the (worm) feeder or around the house with babies, she seems to have NO tail feathers.  DH finds this quite weird .  It doesn t affect her flying etc. but she definitely doesn t have the definitive tail that the male wren has .

Marilyn

#5265821 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Something may have tried to get her… pulled some of those feathers out.. I have a couple of birds with no tail feathers…and they seem to do just fine….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5265842 Report Abuse
    dena1123
    dena1123
    Participant

I will agree with Sharon.  Something may have made an attempt to get her and didn’t succeed.  I do love the House Wrens.  They certainly keep my veggie garden clean. Their houses are mounted along side of my garden.  So far there have been 2 successful broods and another one is sitting now.

I actually have a Mourning Dove, who we call Cyclops that appears to have had a tangle with a Hawk in the Spring. The poor Dove was pretty mangled but has successfully manged to have a mate for this year.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.