Purple throated hummingbird

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds Purple throated hummingbird

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Ladywolf4650 Ladywolf4650 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

I couldn’t believe my eyes…but I just photographed a hummingbird that had a purple throat here in Colorado. It is very clear in the picture that it was a shiny purple. Has anyone else here in the USA ever seen a purple throated hummingbird?

#5136364 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

Okay initial shock is over. I haven’t seen a purple throated hummingbird and a little searching here on Birds and Blooms, tells me it may indeed be an Anna’s Hummingbird. It must be passing through? I see they are in Arizona and New Mexico I believe but on the west coast mostly? Would like more info for those who have seen them more often then I.

Thank you so much for you time and help.

#5136412 Report Abuse

txhummers
    Participant

Anna’s are more red than purple, and (at least the  adult males ) have the same color on the top of the head as on the throat (first and second year males it is not as obvious as older males).  Are you sure it was not a Black-chinned Hummingbird which has a purple “gorget?”

Mark Klym

Bastrop, TX

#5136535 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

You know in both the birdier world and plants people call red purple….but in this case I will concur but do Black Chinned Hummers come to Colorado? Guess I am going to go look again. Thank you for the information and the help. I do appreciate it.

#5136536 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

I found a site that did show that in the lower portion of Colorado Black Chinned Hummingbirds do come visit for the summer and then winter somewhere else. It is so wonderful to be able to come to a place and find the right answers.

#5136547 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Ladywolf it must have been exciting to see a hummingbird you wasn’t expecting.  Welcome to the hummingbird forum.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5136624 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

Yes Steve it was! And Mark was kind enough to point me in the right direction! To see something new or learn something new, is always exciting! I must live in a very special place here in Colorado because I have seen some very interesting birds for sure. I must be on a migration route because I get to see birds I have not seen before and more of them. Last year I got to see an Indigo Bunting! This year I saw a Yellow Variant! Wow what a deal! Take Care Steve and thank you for the warm welcome!

#5141999 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Ladywolf, can you try to post your pic of it?  How exciting to get to see it!

#5142027 Report Abuse
    Ladywolf4650
    Ladywolf4650
    Participant

I would love to but I don’t know how too and if I’m not mistaken and I could be…you have to have a website in order to have a link to pictures here? But I would be glad to send nice pictures to your email.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.