Punk kids!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by njeagle7 njeagle7 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

I was at the bog one afternoon when I spotted some punk kid sneaking up on me. He was approaching slowly, constantly looking over his shoulder, ducking behind trees. I just knew he was up to no good. As he drew nearer though, I noticed a shiny new pair of binoculars, then I saw a bird book and a notepad. Now my curiosity was peaked so I waited for him to catch up. I asked my standard question, “Seen anything cool?” His response blew my mind! He said he wasn’t sure, this was his first time birding. He continued by saying he woke up this morning and decided he wanted to go bird watching so he bought all this stuff and here he was. He seemed genuinely puzzled by all this and added that he’s a college kid, never been a nature guy, just had this sudden urge. He was following me around to see how I did it. We walked for a while, talking about birds and off he went, a brand new birder.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5121241 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

Whew…you had me going there, for awhile… with the first three Sentences and ‘Punk kids! Title…my blood pressure was rising…holding my breath with every word…all kinds of things (bad) were going through my mind.   :)   Haha…what a GREAT Story! I love it! That new ‘Birder’ will, probably, always, remember you. I hope you gave him your Beautiful Blogsite Address…I’m sure he would love it…I know, as a ‘Birder, I do!   :)

~Annie in NJ~

#5121257 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Thanks Annie! I’ve encountered a few new bird watchers but this was definitely the most memorable one.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5121267 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well I hope he keeps at it…the more the better..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5121288 Report Abuse
    Junior Barnes
    Junior Barnes
    Participant

And now he’ll join this forum and see that you referred to him as a ‘punk’ and will never go birding again. LOL! :) Cool story.

www.birdsofohio.webnode.com

#5121329 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Haha! Oops, I hadn’t thought of that!

-birdsofthebog.com

#5121335 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Love this story….hope you helped make a life-time bird lover.

#5121359 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Congratulations to your new punk friend. Like Annie, you had me going too.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5121454 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Nice story.  Sounds like your added information surely will help the new birder!

Once you seriously get into bird watching/picture taking, it becomes a life long hobby.  I’m working on my grandchildren.  I think the boys are getting into it.  Every time they visit, I make sure to point out the different birds on my apple tree.  Well I can’t just give accolade to the boys.  My granddaughter made me a bird feeder that needed a touch of varnish which we completed when I babysat her.  All these little folk are 6, 7, and almost 8 years of age.  Maybe by the time they reach teenage years they will get more involved.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5121471 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

oh my goodness…out of curiosity, I ‘googled’ Punk Birder. He has his own Youtube Site, amongst others! Haha…could he be on a ‘Big Year’…’stalking’ obvious ‘birders’ – like in the movie? Lol…  :)

Punkbirder’s Youtube Site…

http://www.youtube.com/user/punkbirder/feed

~Annie in NJ~

#5121505 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Too funny! Looks like that punk gets around, I don’t recognize some of those birds.

-birdsofthebog.com

#5121599 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

omg… I just took a look at one of his videos. Wow – That punk is one obsessed/dangerous ‘Birder’!   :)    Magnolia, I think you were lucky that he liked you.  Take a look at this 6 sec. video, and how he dealt with another ‘Birder’/Competitor (Guernsey)!  Even ‘Bostick’ wasn’t this bad!  :)

“Dealing with Guernsey” -  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBr45YT3DBM

~Annie in NJ~

#5121627 Report Abuse
    Magnolia15
    Magnolia15
    Participant

Wow! What’s up with that!?!? And I would definitely shove Bostick off a pier!

-birdsofthebog.com

#5121649 Report Abuse
    njeagle7
    njeagle7
    Participant

I watched that video ‘over and over, again’, to see if it may have been ‘photo-shopped’, or something. It looks real to me. Did you read punkbirder’s description? He wrote: “He got off lightly”.

I think we ‘Birders’ can’t be too careful, while out in the Field – have to watch our backs, at all times.   :)

~Annie in NJ~

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.