please help identify this bird

Home Forums Birding What is this bird? please help identify this bird

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Skeeter 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Skeeter
    Participant

Good Afternoon,

I have been feeding birds for a while now and just saw a baby bird I didn’t recognize. I think it might be a Pileated Woodpecker.

They are kind of tan and backed striped on their bodies and have a red tuft on top of their heads. Could that be what I’m seeing? I can’t get a really good look to give you more information as they are too far away for me to see any more clearly in my binoculars. I’ve tried to find a picture of one but to no avail. Can anyone help me identify these babies?

Skeeter

#4875540 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

A young one???? if it is a young one you must be where its warm… Where are you  may I ask?

from what you are describing I got it that it looked like this…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#4876408 Report Abuse

Skeeter
    Participant

Hi, I’m in Pensacola Florida and yes, that kinda looks like the one I saw only it was so far away and my binoculars are not very strong. The first look I got at it was close as I have a bird feeder only about 3 feet from my front door. I was looking out the window and saw it sitting in the tray of the feeder eating cornbread I had made for them since I had run out of birdseed and the roads were iced over and I couldn’t get to the store to get more. I just knew the birds were starving for something to eat so I made cornbread for them twice a day all last week until I could get more birdseed.

I was gone most of the day today, but I got a glimpse of it briefly as they fed this afternoon on the sidewalk. I do know we have some what look like that same woodpecker around there because I have observed them in the trees looking for worms. I did see one come down to the ground one day last year to feed on a suet cake I had  put out for them.

When I can get a better look and can give you more identifying markings i’ll post again. Thanks for the help.

Skeeter

#4896244 Report Abuse

Skeeter
    Participant

Haven’t seen the little bird with the red topknot again yet but been very busy, however, the babies appear to be doves, there were about two dozen feasting on some birdseed this morning when I watched. They’re larger than the ones i saw last year so I’m thinking they had already been hatched when our cold snap happened on the 28th. Either that or they have grown very quickly if they were hatched in the last week. I got some added “bait” at the store the other day to add to my regular seed, a mixture with fruit in it I think they’ll like and I found some more of the little suet nuggets. I think that will maybe entice the woodpecker if that’s actually what this bird is. Can hardly wait to see it again to get a better description for you.

Have a great day! Skeeter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.