PLEASE ADVISE!

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds PLEASE ADVISE!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Feather Feather 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mamascats
    Participant

Afternoon all,

I have several Hummer feeders up but my Hummers cannot get to the feeders because of the BEES.  What can I do to help my hummers?

Deb in Va.

#5261620 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Deb… if you have that many bees, then I think the feeders need to come down for a few days.  Get the bees to move on.  I have a few bees but the hummers chase them off.  Sorry you have so many..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5261622 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Here are some ideas..

Move your hummingbird feeder to a new location in your yard. This will trick the bees and wasps, but not the hummingbirds.

Attach a bee guard to your hummingbird feeder. These guards make it impossible for bees to access the nectar. The hummingbirds, however, have long beaks that will help them be able to get to their food.

Trade your yellow bird feeder for a red one. Bees are attracted to the color yellow. Using a red hummingbird feeder will help decrease the amount of bees that visit your feeder.

Make a trap for the bees and wasps. Discard the cap of a 2-liter soda bottle and cut off the top third of the bottle. Invert the top and replace it. You can tape or staple the top back on. Pour 2 inches of soda into the soda bottle and then set the trap out near the hummingbird feeder. The soda will attract the bees and wasps. Once they get in, they will not be able to get back out.

Make your hummingbird nectar a little less sweet. Changing your ratio to one part sugar for every five parts water will help eliminate bees and wasps from being attracted to the nectar. The hummingbirds will still enjoy the slightly less sweet mixture.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5261623 Report Abuse

mamascats
    Participant

My feeders are red, not yellow…..but I will move the feeders! I have so many that they cover the  feeder holes all the way around all of the feeders! I get worried that the hummers will not be able  to feed.

Where can I get a BEE GUARD?

Deb in VA.

#5261629 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

A solution of peppermint oil and alcohol can be sprayed on and around the feeders.  I can’t remember the proportion, but mint is a neuro toxin to bees and wasps.  It will not harm the birds.  Ron (Gardening for wildlife) posted this last year.

My name photo Myname.gif

#5261635 Report Abuse

mamascats
    Participant

Where can I look up the proportions?

Deb in Va.

#5261888 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Sounds like you have a couple viable suggestions here already. I’ll suggest one more thing.

If your hummingbird feeder leaks (even just a little bit) I would recommend replacing it with a leak proof feeder. The leak~proof  feeders are really a twofold solution if you happen to have a problem with ants on your HFs’.

It maybe a bit harder to find these feeders…I’m not sure why (ATTENTION: all entrepreneurs!) but these feeders have a rubber O~ring between the attachments & it usually provides the necessary suction required to prevent the liquid from leaking.

If you cannot find a leak proof HF then I suggest putting in the least amount of nectar you can.  Let’s say, if the base of your HF holds a cup, try using a 1/4 cup instead.

#5261895 Report Abuse

mamascats
    Participant

I will definitely look for the leak proof feeders and also stop filling them as much.

The feeders are emptied by the morning because our wild fur life  climb up on the pergola at night and drink the  hummer nectar.

I just feel so badly for the hummers.

Deb in Va.

#5262069 Report Abuse
    Feather
    Feather
    Participant

If you move the feeder to a different spot the bees will not follow as easily as the hummers.

Feather.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Feather Feather.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Feather Feather.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.