plants for dry shade…any suggestions?

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As plants for dry shade…any suggestions?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by papa2mykids_SW_MI_Z5 papa2mykids_SW_MI_Z5 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Anyone have some suggestions for plants for dry shade? I need something that doesn’t spread too much, as it would be up against a fence…

I don’t have a photo of the area, but this might give you an idea…this is the back fence corner…

the area I think looks naked, is the area to the right of the photo….a length of nothing from the the post to the right of the catmint to another post….there is nothing…what would grow there? as it would get sun until the grapevine leafs out, but shade after that?

Thanks,

Linda Z

#5151868 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hello Narnian,

I don’t recall what zone you are in presently but I just ran across a (new to me) flowering plant that looks rather sweet & is said to “grow well in dry shade… to part sun”. They call these plants, Calanthe (Hardy Orchids) with hardiness zones listed as low as “6b”.  The foliage is a nice green & reminds me a lot of the Calla Lily leaves. The plants come in several different blooming colors.

There is a lady in Oregon that sells a massive variety of gorgeous (hardy) Fuchsia. They may need a bit of water to keep them blooming/growing nicely & I believe you may have good snow coverage during the winter months?

Some of the hardy Geraniums & hardy verbena are quite lovely too but I’m not sure how much water they require (they are said to survive as low as  zone 4/5) ?

They are some nurseries that pride themselves on &/or make their living solely by carrying the unusual/rare plants (not presently found in abundance in local nurseries/stores). Those are the little gems that I love to research & often buy plants from.

Looks like you have room to have some fun with your new garden design. I’m sure there are many more plants available that I have yet to discover. Hope you find a few that light up your shade garden. Happy hunting/planting.

#5152072 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Md…thanks for the suggestions…I am in zone 5….I think the geraniums are a good idea…but I would like something with a little more height…I don’t think the others would work well in my zone.

I do have several geraniums….will think about that some more!

Thanks again,

Linda Z

#5154324 Report Abuse

How much shade we talking?

Hosta, Astilbe, Foxglove, Stella de oro daylily.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.