Pink female Rose breasted Grosbeak?

Home Forums Birding What is this bird? Pink female Rose breasted Grosbeak?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Fabijenna 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Fabijenna
    Participant

Can anyone please verify for me that this is indeed a pink female Rose breasted Grosbeak?

This is the first year that I’ve had Pine Grosbeaks at my feeders, and I’m fairly certain that they have cross bred with my female Rose breasted Grosbeaks.  I had a male Pine Grosbeak, deep red with black wings, but also noticed some immature males, and then one that was pink, and didn’t look like the rest.  This morning, I saw it again, a month plus older, and it appears to be a pink female Rose breasted Grosbeak!  That would mean they’ve cross bred, although I’ve yet to find evidence of those two species mating.

I had two pairs of Rose breasted Grosbeaks at the beginning of the season, but only one male stayed at the feeder until mid July.  Once he left, I started to get anywhere from nine to eleven female Rose breasted Grosbeaks, along with the new addition of the Pines, and the pink immature.  They’ve been eating from morning until evening for the past month and a half, always coming in a flock together. The male Rose breasted Grosbeak returned last week for three days,  ate with the flock, and even fed one of the females.   The flock dispersed for about four days, and today have returned, which is when I saw what I think is the cross breed.

I’m going to try and insert the photos, but am not very computer savvy, so I apologize if they don’t come up at first.

I would really appreciate any help.  Thank you!

#5280018 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Fabijenna, go to Community help  it will help you post a pic…

or you can email it to me… I am a Community Team Member…and I can post it..

justcateyes@yahoo.com

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5280044 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi again, here is one of your pictures.. I think you have a juvenile male Purple finch.

#5280045 Report Abuse

Fabijenna
    Participant

Hi CatsBirds-

Thank you so much for posting the picture for me!  I truly appreciate it.

Do you really think it’s a Purple Finch?  I have those too, but these are much larger, and their beaks are different, more like a Grosbeaks.  I’ve seen Purple Finches since I was a small child, and these don’t look like them at all!

I really do appreciate your help, thank you again!

#5280046 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I think you are seeing House Finches… purple finches are a bit different… this to me looks like a  juvenile male purple finch. They have the whitish eyebrow before changing..

male house finch

here is one of the juvenile male purples..

#5280052 Report Abuse

Fabijenna
    Participant

Hi CatsBirds-

We must have the biggest finches around!  LOL!  They really do look similar to these pictures, but I’m having a hard time because of their size.  I promise, I’m not trying to be argumentative, I’m just really confused because I have purple finches at my feeder all of the time and know what they look like.  This house finch picture though , is really, really close to what this one today looks like, but mine is bigger.   My friend in NY jokes with me that we grow our birds bigger here in Maine, and I’m starting to believe her!

I hope you don’t mind, but I sent you more pictures of what I thought was the male Pine Grosbeak.

You’re a Saint for helping me, thank you very, very much!

#5280317 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well looking at these pics…. yes it is a pink grosbeak…but the eye mark on the other one still could be a male purple…. they are so hard to distinguish between the two without being close ups…

#5280319 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

And if you look on your other feeder… you have a female there… so this very well could be the male grosbeak..

#5280322 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

But I do think the first one is a male purple….and then the second set is the grosbeak… but really they are about the size of ours… maybe they just look big to you in Maine…ahahahahah just kidding…

#5280324 Report Abuse

Fabijenna
    Participant

Oh my gosh CatsBirds, thank you so much!

Since you said it might be House finches, I’ve been looking at them, and they really do look similar.  It’s that bright red one, the above picture that’s sadly too dark and not close enough, to really tell for sure….?

You wrote pink grosbeak above, and I’m trying to figure out if you meant Pine?  Or do I really have pink Grosbeaks?!

CatsBirds, you’re wonderful.  Thank you for your patience and wisdom!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.