Pictures of my flowers

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Pictures of my flowers

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  tealbirdIA_Z4 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I have way more flowers this year than I have ever had before. My big flower bed is now minus the huge maple tree. I was curious what would grow if it got sunlight. It’s now a bed full of pink! coneflowers and phlox. Amazing what a little sunlight will do for a flower bed.

I had fun with the pots this year. My potatoes and amaryllis bulbs are behind that white cart I got from the nursing home.

I never planted any of these red poppies, they just come up on their own.

My red maple used to be down by the round corner, so hopefully next year I will have even more flowers in that area. The only thing I planted in this flower bed this year is a balloon flower down by the corner. I figure if it could make it through the winter in a plastic pot, it deserved a place in my flower bed.

#5267726 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

OH MY!! You have some gorgeous flowers there! Amazing what a difference it makes when they get more sun and they aren’t competing with tree roots for water and nourishment.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5267736 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

Beautiful beds Mary B be very proud of them and yes your right its amazing what so sun light can do for the garden . So glad you got the tree down and out of that garden .

Sandyk

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5267741 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Your sun garden is beautiful, Mary!  Your pots are looking great as well.  I love the color combination of the plants by your side deck.  Is that Monarda and Golden Glow?  How do you keep your hollyhocks looking so nice?  I have one bug that eats the leaves and another that eats the flowers.  Thanks for the pics.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5267746 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Oh my goodness, where do I begin. You have such pretty flowers, bwatcher. I’m curious as to what or how many of those plants you had blooming/growing when the Maple tree was there?

On your 3rd picture down, can you tell us what the bluish/purple plant is blooming in the center of what looks like your porch? Your Hollyhocks are absolutely dreamy looking. And you have poppy growing w/o any effort…I’m so envious.

#5267751 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

Charlene, The ones on the south side of the house are getting eaten up. The leaves look like lace.

I think my earwig count is getting out of hand. I haven’t made any effort to get rid of them this year. Last year I went out with a flashlight with a plastic 4 cup measuring cup with a handle. I put a cup of cold water with dish soap in it. I would get 100s every night. One night I lost count at 1,000. There were at least 5 on each coneflower head. I used to use hot water and that would kill them, but when the water got to cool it wouldn’t kill them anymore. I would have to come back inside to get more hot water. I would dump the measuring up of dead earwigs on the cement and the robins would eat them the next morning. They won’t eat the ones with the dish soap.

I don’t spray any flowers as I have had hummingbirds, many butterflies, and the hummingbird moths in my flower beds.

Miracle Grow for blooming plants is some great stuff. I know that’s why my colors are so vibrant. I fed it to all of these in-ground plants this spring and again about a month ago. The potted plants just got another dose this past week.

The ones in the bag hanging on the center of the deck rail are a purple/lavender variegated petunia.

The pots hanging off the top of the deck rail are (Left) Mexican Heather with the same petunias as the bag below them, (R) is a Mermaid Blue Lisianthus with a vinca that gets little lavender flowers.

#5267764 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

Charlene, the red is the Monarda but the yellow I don’t remember what it is. I got it in Decorah at the Lady Bug Greenhouse years ago. I’ll have to get a picture and post it.

#5267831 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Wow, they are beautiful.  All of them.

As my Mimosa gets bigger & bigger in the back yard I have less & less sun there & I didn’t have a lot to start with because of the surrounding woods.  Some of the plants are starting to suffer but tree is too big ( and too pretty) to take out & plants also too big to move.  Besides not really enough sunny places to  move them to so they will just have to ADAPT.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5267860 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Beautiful, beautiful gardens!  I love them all…the poppies, the purple coneflowers, the mixed garden and your hanging pots.  The hollyhocks are definitely dreamy as MDGreenery stated.  Your property looks great!

I have a big problem with earwigs too.  They are not only ugly but a real nuisance, too.

#5267867 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Mary they are all beautiful. I had a big tree taken down this year. Next year I’m hoping to see a difference.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5268029 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Wow….what a great display of pretty plants.  Everything looks so lush and green.  Looks like you put a lot of work into your garden.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5268107 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

The flower beds are all perennials. I deadhead the plants that need it when the time comes. I have a Miracle Gro feeder for my garden hose. I pulled some weeds this summer that I’ve never had before. I think it’s because the tree is gone now and these seeds needed hot sun to germinate. When I have new seed from my plants I just give them a fling with my hand and that’s how I plant. If I want some seed moved to a different spot I just take it to where I want it. That’s how I got the hollyhocks out in front of the house. The coneflowers and phlox seed themselves. I will have to bring some of the poppy seeds from the east side of the house over to the south side and give them a fling. I also noticed that none of  my pink or yellow foxglove came up this year. I’ll have to get some more seeds out and do some seeding yet this summer. I also saw that my allium out front didn’t come back and neither did most of my tulips and hyacinth. These are all bulb items. My daffodils put up leaves but I didn’t get any flowers. With the nasty winter and spring I’m surprised I even had plants.

#5268109 Report Abuse
    flowerpowerz5
    flowerpowerz5
    Participant

Your gardens look beautiful also. I love all the phlox.

Sandy M.

#5268488 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Wow.  They are gorgeous bwatcher.  Isn’t it great that we can keep adding year after year and voila look what transpires?  Beauty in our yards.  Good job on those gardens.

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Thanks for sharing these pix today! alma

<*)~// Tealbird

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.