Photos of wildflowers….ID please?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Photos of wildflowers….ID please?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I took many photos of wildflowers yesterday on a nature walk.  Some are considered weeds in our flower beds….lol   Thought you might like to see the variety of wildflowers that grow in our area.

Here is a little frog.  I’ve never ever seen that color in our country.  I’ve seen them in the tropics on tv.

This one looks like from the prehistoric age…lol

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5273343 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Stella….they are all pretty….and all of my toads look like that this year.  It hasn’t been warm enough for them to take off their winter jackets yet….lol

I am not good with wildflowers, but Melissa knows them all!  It is her passion.  I am sure she will be able to identify some for you if she sees this.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5273346 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

They all look green &/or happy to be in the green. The first plant looks like a Gentiana (they are a really pretty blue).  The 12 one down looks like it could be a Sweet Joe Pye Weed (I’m not sure~there are several varieties of JPW but one of them requires full sun)? Your walk looks nice & shady.

#5273358 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Beautiful, sometimes weeds are prettier and can keep up with the best of the ones we plant…. love all the pics…the 8th one down has Creeping Charlie in the photo.. we have that here and it is a pain…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5273411 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

The only one I know is joe pye weed.  Nice pictures.

Carol

#5273418 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Nice pictures but I don’t know the name of any of them.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5273424 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

The top toad looks like a tree toad my friend has – they can climb up the window. When she had a flower box on the kitchen window with a florusent light above – that little guy would climb out and zap the skeeters. A fun show.

I had one on canna one day and I got several pix. but the next day he was gone.  At first I thought I had a bigh hole in that leaf.

My cannna’s have several little ones coming up.  Just hope they can get up and bloom

Came down with summer cold, UGH. Just drink – sleep – run – blow – sneeze. Didn’t even get dressed or go out today. You understand that routine. Nuff said.

Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5273920 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Nice pictures…I’m sure you got on your knees to take some of them…the Gentian ? is the prettiest to me…For some reason our wildflowers planted along the Freeways, never looked as good as times before..I guess it got hot too fast/soon..

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5274275 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

bump for Melissa

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5274301 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

Thanks Charlene!

First is bottle gentian (good job MD)

2nd looks like princess pine, a type of horsetail, or a type of tree moss

3rd looks like bunch berry, would have white flowers in early summer

4th is the fruit of wild sarsaparilla, the root can be used to make root beer

5th is bull thistle

6th looks like heal all, which looks more purple in person

7th is virgins bower

8th and 9th and 10th I have to look in to

11th looks like evening primrose

12th is joe pye weed

13th is a green tree frog

14th is a common toad (one of my favorite things in the world!)

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5274307 Report Abuse
    Raising_4_Birders
    Raising_4_Birders
    Participant

10 is possibly meadowsweet, really hard to tell as the pic is so bright.  It’s a similar shape, just not sure about the color.

11 looked like blackberry, but I wanted to double check.  It sure seems like it is, but if not it is certainly flowers for some type of wild berry.

9 I just can’t tell what leaves belong to the flower, so makes it harder to identify.

new sig photo signature_12.gif

#5274343 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good job Melissa.  Hope Stella sees this.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5274347 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Thanks Melissa!  Great job.  I will have to compile all the weeds and keep a record of what I have and what new ones to add.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5274532 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Yay….Melissa to the rescue…..I knew you could do it!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5274551 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Great job Melissa!  I too love my wildflowers here in the forest.  Some of them fill the air with a wonderful scent after a fresh rainfall.

Great pictures Stella.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.