Photo Time In “The Potting Shed” No2 …Our Council Gardeners

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Photo Time In “The Potting Shed” No2 …Our Council Gardeners

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Tigsy 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

woodgreen
    Participant

Number – 2   4th of March 2014.
    ……………………………Photo Time In “The Potting Shed”
    …………………………….Our Council Gardeners at work
    I have to do a little caching up so I will have to start with were I left off last time at the Council Nursery just 4 photos on the outside of the Garages and compost bins you can see how big the area is and at this time empty as they were all out on the town working as you will soon see. Well the road I am going to show you is the road I use about once or twice a week to go to the shops. The road is one of the main roads round the town. It is tree lined and on each side they have part of the road as a cycle track. The photos speak for them selves but if you would like to ask me something please do. Once again I have to tell you that myself and the French can only talk a little to each other but we left as friends and a little surprised when they understood that I also was a “Tree Monkey” and doing there job in England but not with all that beautiful equipment I just had hand saws and ladders and being the youngest it was me that had to clime into trees and follow instructions lol. They cut the trees like this every 3 years. Hope you enjoy.    Stewart..

<div id=”allsizes-photo”></div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    <div></div>
    <div>This  is my car, I have had her since 2004 and I love her. She also keeps me warm when I sleep with her.  LOL.</div>
    <div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>______________________________________________________________________</div>
    <div>Tree Lopping.</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    </div>
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    <div>The pruners     The weather was not good and the tight was not good but I had to take them it was around 3:30 pm</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>
    <div></div>
    </div>
    <div>Stewart</div>
    </div>
    <div></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

#5107606 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi Stewart,

I enjoyed looking at your pics.  Very interesting!  I do have a question……why do they prune the trees back so far?  I don’t see any highline wires.  Also,  what kind of trees are they?

Thanks,
    Pat

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5107644 Report Abuse
    GiddeyUp
    GiddeyUp
    Blocked

That’s a pretty severe prunning, eh, but lots of mulch … :)

… … …

photo 2.gif

#5107672 Report Abuse
    h2ogrdn
    h2ogrdn
    Participant

I, too, am surprised at how much is taken out of each tree.  Seems that a lot of trees would then send up all kinds of water spouts and miscellaneous branching that would require sooner pruning that 3 years.  Don’t they say not to take more than a maximum of 1/3?

Fred in Western Montana

#5107695 Report Abuse
    steepdrive
    steepdrive
    Participant

Looks like the drastic pruning they do around here to the crepe myrtles.  Seems like they went a bit beyond what was needed, Stewart.

photo signature_1.gif

#5108247 Report Abuse

woodgreen
    Participant

#5108337 Report Abuse
    snowwolf57
    snowwolf57
    Participant

Stewart What kind of trees are they pruning, that is really severe we don’t do it near that hard here.   It would probably kill the tree inour climate, but in yours you must be able to get away with it.   Like I said here in our small town you either do it your self or the electrical company does it if it is near wires or you call a tree company to take it down.   We had a older couple that took down a huge silver maple at least 80 years old and had a trunk that was 4 1/2 foot in diamater one of the oldest trees in town.   They tried to save it by putting a cable around it and but it still was splitting to bad, so they took it down this winter I am sure they thought they better for it is on a walking route to the high school and it would of been a tragic event if a huge branch would of fell out of it.

signature_2.gif photo signature_11_zpsd05916a9.gif

#5108991 Report Abuse

Tigsy
    Participant

I agree, more drastic pruning than we ever see here. Yes, Snoo, the electric company does most of the pruning where wires are concerned, even on private property. There are trees around town that are cut into a capital “Y” shape! I’d also like to know what kind of trees those are. Stewart…?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.