painted buntings

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As painted buntings

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by momlovell momlovell 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    momlovell
    momlovell
    Participant

does anyone know if the male painted buntings migrate before the female do? i’m still seeing anywhere from one to 3 female, but haven’t seen a male in over a week now.

#5275779 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Mom….Painted buntings usually go south Mid-october to Mid-november.  The male is usually hard to see even once you have spotted them, so they may still be around.  They like to skulk in the bushes…. and they usually go south together… so the males might still be around…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5275780 Report Abuse
    momlovell
    momlovell
    Participant

thanks for the input. : ) maybe the males will start showing up again soon if something hasn’t happened to them.

#5278929 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

That is the #1 bird to see on my wish list so I can’t help, sorry.

#5279356 Report Abuse

Skeeter
    Participant

I thought I had seen one but it turned out to be a Blue Grosbeak instead. But I’m quite happy having seen the Grosbeak. DAR Lady

#5286619 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I thought painted buntings & blue grosbeaks habitated primarily in the south!  Where do you live, momlovell?  What a nwat sighting!

#5286631 Report Abuse
    momlovell
    momlovell
    Participant

margba, I live in Sweetwater, Tx which is in West Central Texas. I’m pretty sure the Painted Buntings are gone for the season now. they usually come in the Spring and leave around this time of year. I haven’t seen any for the past several weeks now which makes me sad. still have the Hummers for a while longer, though. : )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.