oriole feeders

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds oriole feeders

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  docgecko 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    waynebridges
    waynebridges
    Participant

can hummingbirds feed from oriole feeders.

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake. Reason: Moved to correct forum - JMS
    #5123993 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Welcome to the Birding Forum….

I just checked on one of the sites to see if orioles can use hummingbird feeders.  Which is the opposite to what you asked.  Well the site which I went on, mentioned that orioles will kill a hummingbird.  Best is to have another feeder….one for the hummingbirds and another for the orioles.  Orioles prefer nectar for orioles.  They sell granular food for orioles at most stores that sell bird seeds.  Guess I’ll just have to see if hummingbirds will eat from oriole feeders.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5123994 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Just checked again.  Yes, hummingbirds do eat the same nectar as orioles.  Apparently they are the same.  Mind you…you can make your own….4 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar.  Hope this helps.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5126409 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Welcome, waynebridges!

I’m going to move this post to the Feeding Birds forum, so fellow bird lovers are more likely to see it. And yes, Stella is correct – orioles can and often do stop to drink from hummingbird feeders!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5126822 Report Abuse

trudy1180
    Participant

Never heard that any orioles have killed a hummingbird when on feeders. Have only put one feeder up for the orioles and hummers for years. Same formula and never have seen both the oriole and hummer together. Have seen the hummers feeding and when a oriole comes in the hummers just fly to a near by tree and will return when the oriole leaves.

#5126837 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

They feed on mine, won’t touch the ones I put up for them!

#5131360 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

My first oriole ate from a hummer feeder. I couldn’t understand how my hummer could eat that much nectar until I finally saw my first oriole sitting on that feeder. Now they are regulars every spring and sometimes a pr. or two will stick around. Orioles have a bigger beak, so they have a hard time eating from a hummer feeder, but the hummers don’t have a problem eating from oriole feeders as the holes are bigger. I went out and bought my oriole his own feeder. My personal preference for an oriole feeders is the Perky Pet one with the bee guards. I didn’t buy the feeder from Perky Pet, but you can go to their web site and they do sell replacement parts for their feeders; I’ve had to order some. This feeder has spring loaded perches, so when they land it opens up the port so the oriole can eat, but when they leave the hole is covered again so bees can’t crawl in.

I do have a feeder I got at Walmart that has 8 holes for hummers to eat at, but I reamed out one hole for the orioles. If the bees get too bad I just tape over the hole.

Orioles can be finicky. Some will eat oranges, some won’t, most all drink sugar/water nectar. Many will eat grape jelly. I bought a feeder that was supposed to use grape jelly that was mixed with water, but that didn’t work so well. They just wanted the plain old jelly from the jar. Many other birds like the jelly also, like house finches and robins. If you get a robin that wants to be a pig you may have to feed both to keep orioles and it can get pricy buying jelly.

If you want to try oranges, make yourself a feeder like this. My DH made me mine but he made it wider (so they can’t fight with the one on the other side). He only put one nail on each side, and one perch (long dowel through a hole in the middle) My orioles always bicker and chase each other away, so there will never be more than two on at a time.

#5131381 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Welcome to the boards Wayne…

My orioles wont eat from an oriole feeder. They love the jelly and hummingbird nectar.  I got rid of my oriole feeders, and just use jelly and an occasional orange.

Their syrup is the same…. and I have never heard of an oriole killing a hummer either. They always seem to get along well here…

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5131421 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

The few times I’ve seen them they were on the hummie feeders and oranges, never us my liquid oriole feeder. I always put them up, who knows?

#5133087 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

The information whether the hummingbirgds get along with the orioles I got from the internet.  I don’t often see orioles so I would not know this fact….orioles attacking hummingbirds.

Stella
    Community Team Member

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Stelios Stelios.
    #5133198 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

They probably will. But a good idea woudl be to place one bid feeder in a particular area and the other in a separate area. That way the 2 species wont have to compete with one another.

http://wayeshomeaccessories.weebly.com/bird-feeders-and-bird-houses.html

Waye's Home Accessory Superstore

#5135352 Report Abuse

docgecko
    Participant

After trying for several years I finally attracted Baltimore Orioles about three years ago. I have a separate feeder for them that includes Oranges and cups of Grape Jelly. They never touch the oranges but between them and Cat Birds they devour the jelly quickly. And yes, they share the Hummingbird feeder. The second year they came back, one was infatuated with my window screen and kept climbing up and down it as if there was food on it. It hasn’t done it since. I’d never seen one do that before.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.