Only one pair so far this year.

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds Only one pair so far this year.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gismapper 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have one female and one male who visit every day, very rarely I have one that looks like she may be a youngster. Guess everyone is complaining about the lack of hummingbirds this year according to the conservation guy who writes a column in our paper, he says it may be because so many more people put out feeders now. I now our Big R farm store sold completely out of feeders this year and I’ve never seen that happen before and they had quite a selection.

#5153469 Report Abuse

Gismapper
    Participant

This is my first year feeding hummers, so maybe I’m part of the problem!  Haha!

I will say this though, I have only had one male ruby throat at my feeders consistently.   Once in a while I’ll see another male, but never both at the same time.  Each one seems to have his own preferred feeder and they go straight for their favorite.  One bird seems significantly smaller than the other (and I’ll be honest….at times I wonder if it’s really not the same bird with feathers either puffed up or laying flat).

So I’m trying to figure out if it’s common to only have one or two visitors the first year of feeding or if I’m experiencing the same low population as others are.  I’m rather disappointed that I haven’t had any females come along, and I’m pretty sure I would have seen juveniles by now if they were going to be showing up at all.  But I have to keep reminding myself that I’m already two birds ahead of last year’s count.

I’m in southeastern PA, so it’s not like I’m on the fringe of their territory or anything. Does it take a while to build up a regular clientele?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Gismapper.
    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Gismapper.
    #5153497 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Gismapper I say it is pretty common to only see one or two.  The theory is that for every one you see there are is usually another one you don’t see.  So if you see two supposedly there are 4 around.  I had 3 early in the season.  (I know that because I saw all 3 at the same time).  Then they disappeared for a while (they go nest & hatch young during this MIA period).  So far I’ve only seen one re-appear  & I haven’t seen that one since last week.  It seems every year there is always a “Where are the Hummingbirds” thread but they eventually re-appear.

Oh & yes they will come back to the same spot every year looking for their feeder.  I had to move  mine this year & they kept coming back to the old spot till eventually they got used to the new spot.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5153524 Report Abuse

Gismapper
    Participant

Thank you for the info, Gayle! I know summer is still young, too. I’ll try to be patient and enjoy what I have. I was hoping that, if a female was a regular visitor, she would eventually lead her offspring to my feeders too. But I guess there is still plenty of time for them to find me by dumb luck. And like you said, there’s always next year. I’ll keep my eyes open and report back if I see any increased activity.

#5153623 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hi Hiker/ladies,

I just got bit by the first mosquito of the Spring season yesterday so perhaps hummingbird activity will pick-up there soon? When the hummers are feeding their young they seem quite active & drawn to wherever the bugs are flying, in addition to seeking nectar…that I’ve noticed.

#5156201 Report Abuse

Gismapper
    Participant

I had a very interesting experience tonight. Was finishing up some weed pulling in the front yard when I heard a hummer stopping by for some food. By this time it was late…about 8:15 and it was getting murky dark out. I didn’t know hummers were active that late.

But what really got me was the flurry of activity that followed. For the next 15 or 20 minutes, my feeder and especially my red honeysuckle were like an airport terminal! I know at least two of them were different birds because they started sparring above my yard. But in those minutes, I had eight visits. The bird(s) would feed on the honeysuckle flowers for a minute or two, then top off at at the feeder and leave. About 2 minutes later, the whole thing would happen again. Could it have been the same two birds returning multiple times in 20 minutes? Or could it have been several different birds? I only know for sure that two of them were not the same. All the visitors were male though.

I had never stopped to watch for them that late in the day before, assuming that they were settling down for the night. Nor have I ever seen them go crazy for the honeysuckle during the morning or afternoon. I can only assume that they’ve figured out exactly when the bush produces the most nectar. I was shocked at their attraction to it. I wrote that vine off as a “nice thing to have” for them, but I didn’t realize it was so desirable to them. Prior to tonight, the longest I saw a hummer stay with the honeysuckle was 10 or 15 seconds…maybe trying out 4 or 5 flowers. Tonight, they were all over the thing.

I know what I’ll be doing at 8:15 tomorrow evening! But at least I know I have more than one regular visitor now!

#5156560 Report Abuse

Gismapper
    Participant

I finally saw a female ruby throat at the feeder tonight! So I have no idea how long she’s been visiting but I’m so glad she is. Gayle, seems like you were spot on! Thanks again…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.