OK all precautions have been taken

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds OK all precautions have been taken

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

to stop damping off.  The dirt was sterilized, the flats were sterilized, the soil was moistened with chamomile tea, the surface was sprinkled with cinnamon and then sprayed with a peroxide solution.  That is all of the prevention I know of to stop damping off.  I just replanted 4 seeds that I have lost.  If I lose them again I give up.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5114489 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

In that case, Good Luck.  :)

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5114498 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

Bette I had the same thing happen to my profusion zinnias and I planted more yesterday. I was trying to grow some for my girls and a friend. We still have time! I did have plenty seed though. Abey

#5114755 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Thanks Gayle, I need all the luck I can get it seems.

Abey, I lost zinnias also.  Was surprised at that it is usually only the real fine seed that I lose.  Good luck with your replanting.

photo signature_3.gif

#5116270 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I wish you the best! I have to say, all this cold has taken some of the joy away. The basement is staying colder longer and who knows when outdoors will warm up. I just noticed some deer passing through my backyard. Probably shopping around to see may be in store for them.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5116367 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Wendy only time will tell what this weather is going to do.  I usually put my greenhouses up in 2 weeks.  Things sure need to change around here for that to happen this year.

The temperature in my house is 71 all the time so that is not a problem.  It just seems the damping off has been worse this year for some reason.  Nothing is up yet from this planting I am referring to so who knows.  What really surprised me this year is I even lost zinnias that way.

photo signature_3.gif

#5117101 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I had wonderful results from everything I planted in January, most of the things I started in February have either not come up at all or are just starting to show. And these are the easier seeds to grow, the hard ones are doing well and most have been put into their new homes already. Almost all of the February ones were done in peat pellets, something I have never used before and will never use again.  They either dry out too quickly or stay too wet. I will go back to my pro mix for all of my seeds from now on.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5117762 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Molly, I think you either like or dislike the peat pellets.  I have never cared for them myself.  Also I don’t think they work as well in a greenhouse as they do for the person controlling small numbers of seedlings in the home.

Some of the plants I haven’t taken such precautions with are just starting to come up so time will tell if I can beat this damping off.  I don’t think I have as much problem with plants started in the greenhouse as I do in the house with it.

photo signature_3.gif

#5117807 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I don’t like the peat pellets either but a lot of people have good luck with them.  They stay too wet for me.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5118356 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

So far 6 of the 8 9pks have germinated and are standing tall.  Only time will tell.  The other 2 have not germinated yet.

photo signature_3.gif

#5118433 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Well I too tried the peat pellets this year for the first time. I’m one of those that don’t have a green house so I try to be careful  and not start too many plants of any one kind. Anyway back to the peat pellets. You can add me to one of those that don’t care much for them. Maybe some day I’ll get them all used but not even sure thats going to happen. This first bunch of peat pellets I bought makes me two bunches of peat pellets. My first and my last.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5124053 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I must say that either my seedlings just decided to cooperate or all the precautions worked as I have not lost one seedling to damping off.  Going to start more of the same seed today in the same manner.

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.