No Germination

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds No Germination

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by wilderness_NY_Z4 wilderness_NY_Z4 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I can’t believe it.  I planted all my tomatoes and marigolds almost 2 weeks ago.  Most of the tomatoes came up within about 3 days except one variety.  Not a one out of 6 dozen seed has germinated on the tomatoes and  none of 10 flats of marigolds have germinated.  I have seen poor germination from seed but tomatoes and marigolds never 0 germination.  I need to replant them. I will use a different years seed for the tomatoes as they are my mainstay tomatoes for myself and the ARC.  The marigolds, I don’t have any different seed.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5124210 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

Boy, that is too bad, Bette.  I only plant 4 tomato seeds and all 4 came up, so failure there.  I just can’t imagine.

#5124218 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bette, this has been a strange season so far. I was blaming the cold basement.

Only a few of the seeds l got from that new company, Seed Empire have germinated. I don’t know if it is them or me.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5124373 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I have done a viability check on the tomato seed that didn’t germinate and it looks like they are real duds.  This is either 4th or 5th generation of me keeping this particular seed.  Today I am going to plant some of the seed I saved in 2012 to see what happens.  I need this 6 dozen tomato plants ready not only for me but also for the ARC.  It is the one they grow the most of.

As for the marigold seed they were purchased a couple of years ago but have never had marigold seed go bad because they were old.  I did save 2 of the colors last summer so am going to try them.  I use a lot of marigolds and know I can’t find the ones I like around here so it could be an interesting summer.

photo signature_3.gif

#5124595 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Bette, that is a shame.  I think Wendy is right.  This has been a terrible winter.  Might have something to do with it.

Now on the other hand, I have  of Giant Marigold seeds.  They did well last year, and I have tons of seeds to share.  If you want me to mail you some, I will do so gladly.  They germinated for me.  Let me know, and they’ll be there within a week.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5124865 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Stella, that would be great.  Are the mixed colors or specific colors.

photo signature_3.gif

#5124890 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Bette, here they are…..I found that there were the yellow kind and orange mixed together.  I bought the package of seeds last year.  There were so many seedlings.  Maybe you remember when I posted pictures of both the giant and regular marigolds.

I’ll send you them pronto.

This picture does not do them justice.  The bloom was about 3” and so full of petals.

Bette, where I planted these was not a good spot.  Underneath is the hose for the water for the pond.  I was afraid to cut right through it.  So I did not plant them deep enough.  I will find a better spot for them and they will stand up like soldiers…lol

Stella
    Community Team Member

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by Stelios Stelios.
    #5124974 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Bette I have had new seed that didn’t germinate this year, some of my old seeds did very well. I don’t understand why some things that have always been so easy to grow are not germinating and these are new seed that I spent good money for.  I have some tomato and pepper seeds that are at least 4 years old and they did fine. I hope you can get enough to fill all of the places that you need to fill. I finally gave up on some of them and took them out to the greenhouse and they still didn’t germinate. I guess there were some real duds even with new seeds this year.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5124991 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I am wondering how come this happens.  Most of my seeds germinated….well that is the new ones….with the exception of all the mums, even the Mammoth Quill.  Not even one germinated.  I had several species of mums.  The only mum that is growing is the one that I got from a few cuttings…not from seeds.  It sure is weird.

I’m wondering if Charlene’s germinated (Quill) that I sent her???

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5130054 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I’m sorry about your germination troubles, Bette, and understand your frustration.  Tomato and marigold seeds should be among the easiest to start.  I couldn’t get marigold seeds that Julie sent to germinate and I tried them 3x.  Last year, I bought an orange marigold and a yellow marigold seed and got absolutely nothing from the yellow.  The orange did great.  When things are so hit or miss it an drive a person to distraction, I swear!

PilgrimIndiansiggy photo PilgrimIndiansiggy.jpg
    Karen
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5130440 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I guess if you are an addict you just try try again.  I think the weather last summer has a lot to do with poor germination of seed this year.  As far as I can determine all of the tomato seed I gathered last year are duds.  Thankfully I had some left from previous years and they are doing just fine.  I just replanted marigolds this week.  They will be small if they germinate but they can even be sown direct so not too worried about that.  It is amazing what a couple of days in the greenhouse will do for the health of plants.

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.