Nicotiana question

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds Nicotiana question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by luvmyb_b luvmyb_b 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I didn’t start any nicotiana seeds this year and am regretting.  I thought I might start some now, but am wondering if it is too late.  Our safe planting time is usually after May 10th.  I just looked to see if they are able to be direct sown and it doesn’t say that I can on the Swallowtail web site.  What do you all think?  Should I give them a rest for this year since I am so far behind or should I start them in the house now?  I’m on the fence about what I ought to do and figured to gather opinions here.  Thanks in advance for your input!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5134427 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I’m going to start some more. The first group didn’t make it. No one said everything has to bloom in June. It’s nice to have some late bloomers.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5134451 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Good thinking, Wendy!  You’re right things do not have to bloom right away or all at the same time.  Guess I will be planting some nicotiana, too.   Thanks for the pep talk!

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#5134482 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I had a bunch of volunteers last year in a pot from the year before.  They did not germinate until I brought the pot out of the back garage in mid May and they started blooming just shortly after the ones I started indoors in March.  You can do either….start indoors or even direct sow.  Go for it!  I know you enjoyed them last year.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5135796 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

I, too, had a bunch of volunteers last year, all over the ground.  I am hoping for the same this year.

#5265525 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

I had never had Nicotiana before this summer but got a tad over zealous wanting to plant something in my barrels this Spring.  Nicotiana was abundant at the nursery so I bought them.  For the first few weeks, they didn t do much but there have now filled the barrels nicely .  They are very easy to care for.

However, since this is just the second year for my barrels, I m not sure I like the Nicotiana well enough to do them again next year.

You ladies are mentioning volunteers ~~~ Does this mean I ll have them coming up in random places like my Snaps did from last year ?

Also, does Nicotiana only produce in red and white blooms ?

Marilyn

#5265599 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Hi Marilyn,

In my experience, and not living far from you, I would say you don’t have to worry about the nicotiana volunteering.  I wanted my white to come back up since others south of us said theirs did.  Mine did not.  I’ve grown it for a number of years and have never had it show up the following year without me planting it.

It does come in other colors besides red and white.  I have grown purple and lime green also.  I think there may be a lighter shade of red that is closer to a pink too.   Maybe someone else has grown other colors.  Those are just the ones I know of.

Now that I went back and read this thread (DUH!), I see that Charlene has had volunteers and she is in a zone cooler than us.  So, maybe …?

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by luvmyb_b luvmyb_b.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.