New Bird Feeder….. Squirrel Proof…. I Hope

Home Forums Birding Feeding Birds New Bird Feeder….. Squirrel Proof…. I Hope

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Hiker07_IL_5 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Today I put up a new bird feeder and I have really tried to make it squirrel proof. Guess I’ll find out  pretty soon whether or not they can find a way to get to it. This is the  biggest feeder I’ve ever had. I put it on a PVC pipe so hopefully those critters won’t be able to climb the post and get to it.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4845070 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

Steve nice set up . How close is it to the bush ? Squirrels can jump (I,m  thinking) 6 foot ?  My problem is being to  short I couldn’t reach a feeder like that to fill it lol. 

Sandy K.

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#4845109 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Yeah Sandy I thought about that bush but its really not got very sturdy limbs so I don’t really think they can hold a squirrel up. I was more concerned with keeping it away from the birdbath/planter you can see  in the left side of the picture. Its about 10 feet from there. Should the squirrels be able to use the bush then that bush can be removed and I wouldn’t be that upset to do that.

Community Team Member

#4845129 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Nice job Steve!  I’ve got a squirrel that is driving me nuts.  Ripped my window screen to pieces coming off the roof and down to hop over. Grrr!

#4845538 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I’m hoping along you but I sincerely don’t think there is a such thing as a squirrel proof birdfeeder. Just when you think you’ve outsmarted them, they find a way to prove you wrong.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4845574 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Wendy I’m afraid you just may be right. I had a feeder with a baffle on it and it worked great for 2 years and then all of a sudden the fuzzy rats just started going right over it like it wasn’t even there.

Community Team Member

#4846471 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

They shouldn’t be able to climb the PVC.  How high off the ground  is that hanging  feeder   to the left?   I’ve read they can jump  5′ in the air & 7′ out.  And I have seen mine jump from a little twig of a sapling onto a feeder one time.  I cut the sapling down.   It was probably  around 1 to  2″ in diameter.

Hope it works for you.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Gayle Gayle.
    #4846808 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Squirrels can jump 9 ft. from a roof to get on a feeder and 7 ft. from other places.  And, they are so clever but I doubt they can navigate the PVC pipe.  You can put something slippery on it so they can’t get any traction if you have to.  I have used WD 40 before or anything greasy on a pole.  Just hope they don’t jump from the ground to the feeder.  Maybe they will be discouraged when they can’t make it a few times.  I have squirrel proof feeders, and many times they are thrown off the steep roofs of the metal ones I have especially if it rains or snows.  They are pesky characters and don’t give up!

#4846895 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Steve, your new feeder set-up looks great.  I bet those squirrels don’t have a chance.

#4858682 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Darn that Steve!

Darn that Steve!

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4874378 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

lol Wendy. I can see that squirrel right now trying to figure out how to get to that feeder. So far they haven’t tried but mostly because the other feeder they were raiding all the time  isn’t empty yet so they are still working on it.

I can already tell one thing I really like about the new feeder. I intentionally placed it where I can see it from my computer chair and that was a great idea. This morning while I’m on the computer I’m also getting to see the birds that are coming to the new feeder and its fairly busy.

Community Team Member

#4896863 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Steve-oh-Steve, Those Tree Rats will figure out how to reach your feeder. It will only be a matter of time. Unless….you keep that PC pipe slick….and that could be a problem. Baffles are a better option. Note: They will wear out.  

BTW…Love the feed station! Great placement as well. :)

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#4896945 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Gosh Jean don’t discourage me lol. So far  I haven’t saw a squirrel mess with it at all. One other thing that also may help there. Its in front of a window that Daisy likes to look out. Now when she sees a squirrel she about goes wild and barks and growls alot. Maybe she might even be able to help me keep them away lol

This is the same window.

Community Team Member

#4896961 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Steve, Install a doggy door in under that window so Daisy can chase those tree rats away. :D

http://jean-livingsimple.blogspot.com (The Joy of Bird Watching and Living a Simple Life)
    Jean in NW Georgia

#4896962 Report Abuse
    Paleface
    Paleface
    Participant

Steve, Install a doggy door under that window so Daisy can chase those tree rats away. :D

Sorry to deliver mad news. :(

Jean in NW Georgia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.