Need help ID'ing a Hawk.

Home Forums Birding What is this bird? Need help ID'ing a Hawk.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by CatsBirds CatsBirds 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    deb
    deb
    Participant

I have no picture to show. But we see these hawks in our area all the time. We are near Lima, Ohio. I believe they are a type of  Buteo. I see them along the roads on top of poles or flying. They are large but not Eagle size. We have a lot of fields along the roads. They are not a dark color…maybe tan or brown. They have a short rounded type tail. But they don’t seem to have striping anywhere. Their tails have mostly white understand and on the top. That’s where the ID gets confusing for me. The tail color isn’t obviously striped, and the outside edges are brown with mostly white. We see them so quickly especially if we are alone and driving. Any ideas? Their tails do not look like a red tailed hawk. Hmmm…

#5272302 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Deb, might be Coopers hawks…. check online for some photos of them and see if that is what you are seeing…here is a harrier, then a red tail then a coopers

Adult male

If not… could be  a Harrier….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5272304 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Deb… are you on the west side of Lima towards Van Wert? or the east side..lol

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.