Need help identifying this bird

Home Forums Birding What is this bird? Need help identifying this bird

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by narnian narnian 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    blueyes
    blueyes
    Participant

Have been seeing this bird in our backyard lately in extreme NW Ohio. Thought at first it might be a female grackle since we have several male grackles visit our feeders daily. Then I noticed it didn’t have the distinctive yellow eyes of a grackle. Could this be a young crow??? It was about as big as a male grackle. Thanks for your help.

Cathy

#5157618 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I believe that is a young crow…. the color is too black to be a young grackle… when they are young sometimes its hard to tell..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5157621 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

This is a juvenile crow…

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by CatsBirds CatsBirds.
    #5157630 Report Abuse
    blueyes
    blueyes
    Participant

Thanks CatsBirds! That is what I thought. We just started bird watching this winter when I stared tossing seed out on the snow because I thought they were going to starve LOL We drew so many birds that we are in the process of turning our backyard into a bird sanctuary… We have seen over 20 different species of birds in our yard since March ’14

Cathy

#5157651 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Cathy you will love it… I have 24 different feeders out right now… love watching, learning about, and feeding the birds……… also taking pics… since living on our little lake I get to see all sorts of water fowl and birds at the feeders..

May I ask where you live???? I was from Ohio, Paulding County originally.

#5157663 Report Abuse
    blueyes
    blueyes
    Participant

OH MY GOODNESS – what a small world. We live in Bryan, OH – Williams County. I work in Defiance Co. and one of my co-works is from Paulding Co. I didn’t realize there were so many wildlife areas in NW Ohio. We have seen many different birds at Lake La Su Ann Wildlife area about 15 miles north of us. We go there every couple of weeks.

I just subscribed to B&B since I have also started a Butterfly/Hummingbird garden.

Where do you live now?

Cathy

#5157667 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I live just outside of Ashley, Indiana  west of Hamilton….

… about an hour away…hey where is this wildlife area?? I need to go there..lol

#5157671 Report Abuse
    blueyes
    blueyes
    Participant

It lies on CR R & S between CR 6 & 8 (north of Montpelier and West of Pioneer, OH)

Cathy

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by blueyes blueyes.
    #5157687 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Well its only 45 minutes from me… I am going to have to go there, and soon… thanks ….

#5158551 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

I think this bird is too small for a crow (young crows have blue eyes) It might be an immature black bird ….tail seems too short for a grackle, but then I am not good at identifying black birds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.