Navy Bean Soup

Home Forums Backyard Chat Food Navy Bean Soup

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by skippydel13zone6KY skippydel13zone6KY 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

1-2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 onion, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/3 lb. smoked ham, cubed

1 can navy beans

1 packet chicken bouillon

2 cups water

Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot saute the onion, carrot and garlic in the olive oil until  all are tender.  Add the ham, beans, bouillon and water.  Simmer until heated thoroughly.  Remove half of mixture to food processor or blend, puree and return to the pot.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serves 4.

I used a hambone and more water than 2 cups as I made a larger pot.  Just chopped all my veggies  (I used celery in mine, too) up fine and tossed in the pot.  I have a bit left for my lunch today.  I love bean soup whether it is with ham or bacon anytime.  (This happened to be the recipe that was on the Goya Navy Beans can) and you can adjust it to your liking.   Hope you enjoy.

#5143415 Report Abuse

joan1___Alabama
    Participant

Thanks, that sounds good.   Will have to print that off and try it on one of these chili mornings.  I love most all kinds of soup.

#5143516 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Dad was a Navy Chief, I grew up eating Navy Beans/soups, didn’t like  them, he said to add Ketchup and they would be just like Pork-n-Beans. Joyce doesn’t like Navy beans at all, that’s something we’ve never had as married adults :-) We do eat most garden beans and peas but I don’t eat Limas or Butter beans, I sure shelled many a pan of them growing up though. I haven’t had SOS since I got out of the USAF :lol:

Terry

#5153227 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Used to have SOS when growing up at home a lot of times.  We liked it, but then we didn’t have it as often as you did, I am sure!  I don’t like lima beans and never did.  I do eat butter beans occasionally.  A lot of people use catsup on beans.   I buy Grandma Brown’s Baked Beans and add brown sugar/mustard to it when I put it in casserole.  I do mine in microwave for 3-4 min., but in winter put in regular oven with other oven dishes sometimes.

#5153359 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I LOVE bean soup so will save this for when it turns cool.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.