Mystery Monday (8/11/14): Can You ID Me?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Mystery Monday (8/11/14): Can You ID Me?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by ili Z.9 ili Z.9 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Here we go with Mystery Monday! Can you ID this plant from just a leaf? Hint: It’s NOT illegal to grow this, even outside of Colorado! I’ll be back later with the answer. Let’s hear your guesses!

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Jill Staake Jill Staake.
    #5272636 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Jill that sure looks like lupine to me.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5272641 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Cleome

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5272644 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I agree with Gayle.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#5272645 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Looks like cleome to me as well….known to some as Spider flower.

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5272659 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Mt laurel?

#5272665 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

It sure looks like the cleome I have grown for years, today I need to pull mine out, about this time every year the stink bugs come after it so it has to go.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5272670 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

Castor Bean?

#5272694 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Castor Bean is a good guess too.   Either that or Cleome., but I’m still leaning toward Cleome.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5272722 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

I am with Narnian….love that plant, even though is poisonous, the seeds (flowers?) are deep orange…nice size bush around here

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5272778 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Many good guesses today! This particular leaf is from Cleome, commonly known as Spider Flower, so kudos to those who got it right!

In addition to having really attention-grabbing flower heads, cleome (Cleome hassleriana) is a host plant for butterflies in the White family (Pieridae), including Cabbage Whites and Checkered Whites. If you’re having problems with these caterpillars attacking your cabbage or collard crop, you might want to try planting cleome nearby and transferring the caterpillars to it.

Eggs of Cabbage White caterpillars on a cleome pod:

The downsides to cleome: many varieties have thorns along the stem, making them a bit of a pain to handle. The leaves bear a striking resemblance to marijuana leaves, so you may get the occasional sideways look from guests if your plants aren’t currently blooming. We grow this plant at our butterfly garden in the spring, and pretty routinely at least one of our non-blooming plants is stolen (ripped from the ground, usually!) by someone who is probably pretty disappointed later on. ;)

Who else grows and loves cleome? Any tips for those who want to give it a try?

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5272796 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

I love, love, love Cleome. The only thing I don’t like is the zillions of seeds they drop that may come back the following year. It would be hard to try and clip the pods off before they split, laying down a sheet or something to catch them is not appealing to me. I will just continue to love them. :)

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#5272821 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I feel so stupid now lol. I have cleome and you would think I would have recognized a leaf I see every day. This is the first year I have grown cleome and I have been seeing a lot more of the cabbage white butterflies than usual lately. I guess now I know why. Not sure I’m really happy to learn it feeds those critters that I fight with over my cabbage and broccoli every spring.     fanged caterpillar smiley

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in Wilkesboro, NC

#5272860 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I Have only planted decorative Kale. Cabbage and other I can get at garden market. I have too many of those butterflies.

Planted parsley and earlier saw a swallow tail – but no sign of catkins.

Was slate getting here and computer is slower. Good night. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5272874 Report Abuse
    skippydel13
    skippydel13
    Participant

I try and pull everyone of them out but its a never ending job with my neighbor letting the seeds wash down in my yard.  Steve I lost so much in my veggie garden last year because these were growing and got covered in stink bugs and they attacked everything in my garden!  I for one don’t want cleome in my yard!

Deloris

http://tinyurl.com/qzp8cls

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.