Mystery Monday (7/28/2014): Can You ID Me?

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat Mystery Monday (7/28/2014): Can You ID Me?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Jill Staake Jill Staake 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

I’m a little late with Mystery Monday today… blame it on “Monday Brain”, I guess. Anyway, here’s this week’s mystery photo – can you ID it? I’ll be back later with the answer! (This bloom is about the size of a nickel, by the way, if that helps you out.)

Jill Staake (florida33girl@gmail.com)
    Birds & Blooms Community Manager
    Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5268680 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Good afternoon Jill,

I believe your mystery flower may be a Bellis Tasso~English Daisy? I love them & so do the tiniest pollinators I’ve ever seen. I usually grow them from seed every year (this is the first year in a long while when I have not). Some of my favorite pictures are of Lady Bugs taking refuge from the rain storm beneath the Bellis Tasso leaves.

#5268774 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I am agreeing with MD on this one….oh so pretty!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5268781 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Lovely, glad there is no mystery anymore…

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5268828 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

So, Jill; were they right?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5268895 Report Abuse
    takyslaky
    takyslaky
    Participant

Oh so pretty!  I am going to see if they are right.  It looks a lot like my Chamomile blooms do, but it looks like an English Daisy as well.

Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Oh, geez, I am really out of it this week! I completely forgot to provide the answer last night. Thanks for the reminder, Gayle!

So, no one got this one right, although I can certainly see why you would guess English Daisy. This is a little wildflower known as Fleabane, which grows in moist areas near ponds and in drainage ditches (among other places). The whole bloom is less than an inch across, and in some conditions, the petals appear a very light lavender instead of white. As the name suggests, it’s been used in the past to keep fleas away, though I don’t think science really bears that out today.

There are a LOT of fleabane species around the world (Genus name Erigeron). This particular one is Oakleaf Fleabane (E. quercifolia) which has a more southern range, but the ones I’ve seen up north look extremely similar. Small butterflies love to visit this plant for nectar.

Thanks to everyone for guessing! I’ll try to be more on the ball with next Monday’s Mystery!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

#5269094 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Oh my….I certainly should have been able to identify flea bane….I pull it out by the hundreds every year.  It is invasive here and I guess at one time someone before me thought it was a beautiful flower and planted it a long with ragged ladies all around the house.  Yipes……LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5269188 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Very pretty, I don’t think  we have it in Michigan, if so, I don’t remember seeing it.

Carol

#5269288 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Not FAIR:( The picture made it look so much bigger than the flea bane I fight constantly but that is just one of the long list of weeds that thrive here.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5269328 Report Abuse
    Jill Staake
    Jill Staake
    Keymaster

Ah, but I DID note that the bloom was only about the size of a nickel in my original post, growinggranny. ;) Gotta read the fine print!

Also, growinggranny, can you check your email for a message from me? If you don’t see it, we might have the wrong email address on file – will you send me a quick email (florida33girl@gmail.com) so I can respond? Thank you!

Tampa, Florida Zone 9b

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.